Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor or Fuel Pressure Regulator going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i went to the autoparts store to get the vss, (109.00 dollars by the way, ouch) and Something told me to replace the spark plugs again. So I did, and it's running new again, runs fine at highway speeds, and the check engine light isn't flashing. It's still on (the guys up here don't erase codes) so i'm guessing i'll just have to drive it around for a bit, before it resets itself. Is it possible the spark plugs i just put in it about 3 weeks ago were bad? Or i could have put them in wrong? ( I'm not sure how you could mess up putting in spark plugs) When i took out the ones i just put in, they already had a lot of carbon build up on them. Maybe because of the induction cleaning? I did the induction cleaning after replacing the spark plugs.... And also on all the spark plugs on the passenger side had fuel on them, enough to see/smell without having to really try. I haven't been able to drive up a hill at highway speeds yet to see if it will maintain power or not, but if it does lose power, i'll immediately replace the VSS

Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This said, anyone have any recommendations for a specific brand/model of code reader? My dad was looking at getting one, and I wanted to make sure that it was compatible with the Disco... Who has one they like?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear

I have an Actron CP9175 (Autozone $109.99 on sale) and it works great. It reads any OBD II compliant vehicle (1996-2010) and tells you what the codes mean on the screen except for the P1*** manufacturer specific codes. It will also take a snapshot of your system. I haven't found a use for this yet. I have a relative with a Snap-On scantool to check O2 sensors and the like. If you don't mind looking up the codes on the internet and you can't take a snapshot the Actron CP9125 is only $60. Both will enable you to reset the Service Engine Soon light.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools

Here is the scanner that I have, it is update able and it reads live data as well which is very nice for trouble shooting.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by herblatham
So i went to the autoparts store to get the vss, (109.00 dollars by the way, ouch) and Something told me to replace the spark plugs again. So I did, and it's running new again, runs fine at highway speeds, and the check engine light isn't flashing. It's still on (the guys up here don't erase codes) so i'm guessing i'll just have to drive it around for a bit, before it resets itself. Is it possible the spark plugs i just put in it about 3 weeks ago were bad? Or i could have put them in wrong? ( I'm not sure how you could mess up putting in spark plugs) When i took out the ones i just put in, they already had a lot of carbon build up on them. Maybe because of the induction cleaning? I did the induction cleaning after replacing the spark plugs.... And also on all the spark plugs on the passenger side had fuel on them, enough to see/smell without having to really try. I haven't been able to drive up a hill at highway speeds yet to see if it will maintain power or not, but if it does lose power, i'll immediately replace the VSS
Yes, the induction cleaning ruined your new plugs.
It broke lose all of the junk and fouled them, if they cannot spark correctly then they will not burn the fuel efficiently and it may leave them coated with raw fuel.
I have a set of el' cheapo copper plugs that I use just for induction cleaning.
Throw them in, induction clean, then put the goods ones back.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Mudding

Check engine light turned off today, still haven't be able to test out a hill at freeway speeds, but i'm assuming that i still need to replace it and will order one on friday.

Thanks for your help on the VSS Spike555

Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear

I am having a similar problem with my wife's '98 disco1 with a couple of twists .It only has 68000 miles , it is hard to start hot or cold. Check engine light started flashing and then stayed on . Codes said miss fire on #1 and #7 , and i think 1197 code which is the maf sensor . I replaced the fuel pump last year with a non land rover part so i was suspecting that . I replaced the plugs with Iridiums and removed the maf sensor, sprayed with contact cleaner and blew dried it and refitted . Re set the check engine light and drove it home . The misfire seems to have gone but if i 'punch it' it accelerates then falls on it's face . Tomorrow i will check the fuel pressure after driving and then a couple of hours later. Any other ideas , and what is a vss ?. Thanks from a newby!.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

I should also mention that even tho' it was misfiring all the plugs were the same colour - white - as in lean . That is why i was suspecting a lack of fuel pressure .They were the original plugs.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools

Here is the scanner that I have, it is update able and it reads live data as well which is very nice for trouble shooting.
Spike that link is dead. What is the model and brand?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear
Unhappy

My problem is similar. I think that my 95 Disco is running too rich. it is fouling plugs and you can smell raw fuel while it is running. NO check engine light even though it clearly misfires due to the fouled plugs.
replaced items:
Temp sensor
Plugs
vac advance
ox sensors
the fuel pressure regulator holds vacuum so the diaphram is still good

next steps? I bought a set of new injectors to put in tonight, have a good used MAF to try, fuel rail pressure test,
Fuel filter?

Since it is OBD1 it has 2x O2's ahead of the cats, so if the cats are bad, it would not affect how the fuel map is regulated correct?

Why is this thing dumping fuel and fouling my plugs! AGGGGHHH!
I used to own an offroad shop and have tons of experience working on Jeeps, landcruisers, Broncos etc. this thing has me perplexed! Please assist.

Quick Reply: MAF sensor or Fuel Pressure Regulator going bad?