Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Middle of 2003 CDL Install. How do I get these gears out of the T/C?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default In the Middle of 2003 CDL Install. How do I get these gears out of the T/C?

Hello All,
I'm following Joshes 03 front output swap to a T and all has been going well so far. I got the front output housing off now after about 12 hours of dissasembly. I cannot get these gears to come out!

• Should I turn the rear wheels a little to remove binding in the gears? (I only have one jack) I'll have to get a 2x4 to hold up the T/C case
  • The writeup shows putting a screw driver in the second row hole. I cant reach that because it is to far inside the case to reach from the side.
  • What if I take it out of park and put it in neutral.
Any help would be appreciated.

On my doner T/C case the gears came out with a little wiggling.

Last edited by bosshogt; 12-14-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I went out and put it in neutral, put the rear wheels on jack stands. I'm able to turn the gears freely, but the gear will not come forward. Any ideas, I guess everyone that has already done this went to bed.

Last edited by bosshogt; 12-15-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sure, send Josh a message and ask him to call you.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok did that. Come on Disco Mike you are supposed to know everything

I went out and put the rear wheels on jack stands. I'm able to spin the gears freely with the tras in neutral. Now I'm going to put the Hi/low selector back on for the second time and see if I can change the T/C case to neutral. I've done alot of Internet research no one talks about these being stuck. Great.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

can u bend the end of a screwdriver to get it in there? i use a bent one to change my plug wires. wrapped in tape of course but makes life easier.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a tool like that its a hooked end puller from Harbor Freight. But the clearance from the gear coming out of the case is not the problem. If I lift up the gear it will clear. The gear set will not come forward after twisting. I dont get it. I must have to move the dog clutch selector into neutral. If I dont figure it out soon. Im going to drop the case and swap it for the other other one. Its just so heavy its going to defeat the purpuse of going this route. Plus I have to take apart rear drum brake and prop shaft. Its another 2 hours of crap.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so it will twist? just not come forward? hmmm... i dunno man.. i stared at the rave and its the same exact thing check out page 574. they talk about using a tool to stick in where josh says use a screwdriver, is there some kind of lock mechanism in there?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you remove the hi low selector shaft detent screw spring and ball??
see pg 9 of josh's insrtuctions. If you haven't done it yet, do it now

Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, I'll remove the detent ball, screw and spring. But it looked like that order was after the gears had already been removed. I'll also try the 1/4" extension in that side hole.
Although in the RAVE picture it looks like the second row is supposed to be used. I cannot reach that because the gears are not that far forward.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok I removed the ball and spring. The Hi/Low selector moves easily now. I put the trans in neutral and I can slide the hi/lo selector to neutral hi and low. I can spin the gears but no deal coming forward. I am out of ideas now. I have spun it backwards and forwards. Only other option I have its to remove the large inspection plate and see if I can nudge the gears forward with a broom stick or screw driver handle.

I have the other front locking output ready to install in front of me. Looks like both sets of gears are cut slanted towards the same direction. With pulling seems like they should slip forward. I just dont get it.

Quick Reply: In the Middle of 2003 CDL Install. How do I get these gears out of the T/C?