Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midline stereo head unit update to Boss Audio BE7ACP

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Midline stereo head unit update to Boss Audio BE7ACP

Hi all, I spent far too many hours updating my Midline (alpine, no-navigation) stereo head unit and just wanted to post a couple of details in case it might help someone else.

Here is my shopping list:

Boss Audio BE7ACP-FT (crutchfield) or BE7ACP-SD (bestbuy)
Natika Backup/Front Camera (amazon)
BOYO VISION VTK101 Flush-Mount Rear-View Camera (amazon)
Metra 70-1786 Wiring Harness Adapter (crutchfield)
Metra 89-9400 blank plate (crutchfield)
HerMia Car Radio Stereo AM & FM Antenna Connector SMB Splitter Y Adaptor Cable, 1 Male to 2 Female Plug for Automobile Car Antenna Aerial (amazon)
Scosche MDAB Compatible with 1988-05 GM Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter; Tip only (amazon)
iDatalink Maestro SW Steering Wheel Control Adapter (crutchfield)
DIYBypass Parking Brake Bypass Fits ALL AVH Pioneer Override DVD Video Lockout (ebay)
2 x PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolator (crutchfield)
Posi-Products car stereo wiring harness connectors (crutchfield)
Tessa 51608 wiring loom tape (amazon)

All I can say is that if you want to utilize all the features it is ALOT of work so find a good car audio installer if you value your time and sanity...who am I kidding; you own a D2!!!

Wire Organization, its CRITICAL and you should plan it out first because there is a metal support bar for the stereo enclosure and you want to think about which wiring should be on the left and right-hand side based on the rear layout of the head-unit. I felt like there was more room on the right-hand side of the enclosure so I pulled the stock radio harness connectors to that side and pushed the unused (multi-color) harness connector for the CD changer behind the HVAC panel wiring. I also velcroed the PAC's to the left rear of the stereo enclosure and the Maestro to the right rear of the enclosure.

Illumination Wire, there is a Orange/White (illumination) wire coming off the BOSS Audio harness but an Orange (dimmer) wire coming from the Metra harness. In case you were not aware, illumination and dimmer are two different things! Tech support wasn't too helpful and just told me to leave the wire disconnected....all you need to know is that Illumination is your PARKING LIGHT wire; splice into that and you have the Illumination signal.

NOISE, The MOST frustrating part is that after I got the head unit installed I started up the engine and had alternator whine and noise in the speakers that was still noticeable on Tuner with the volume at 1.
  • The alternator whine was resolved by using a dedicated ground (found a free stud under the passenger kick panel)
  • The factory amp noise (unbalanced outputs) was resolved with the PAC ground loop isolators

Rear cam

Front cam (trail cam view)

Last edited by gecko951; 02-23-2022 at 06:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gecko951:
Discorama (08-04-2022), rikkd (02-24-2022), The_OGCJR (02-24-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up!

I've just ordered a similar setup. Do you need to do anything special for the backup camera?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2022, 02:11 AM
Rock Crawling

The only snag I ran into with the backup camera was finding that my specific backup camera included a cable that was too short so you may want to also order an extension cable.
Also you can wire the camera so that you can turn it on on manually as well as when you shift into Park.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Controls?

Help! Started the install today. Removed the midline, no problem. Wired up power and ground, and the unit turns on!

I’m feeling lost around SWC. The PAC website shows the grey plug as your SWC, however the grey plug fits into the métra harness.

does the grey plug go to the PAC SWC box, or the métra harness?

what do I do with the yellow/Blue/Green plug? I can’t fit it and the tan plug on the metra, am I missing something?

thanks in advance!

thanks!

Old 08-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Connect RCA plugs coming off the Metra harness to the PACs and then to the head unit.

The yellow,blue,green connector...don't believe you need them so push/pull them out of the way.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I have pulled out the Boss Audio BE7ACP and will be contacting them to see about getting a warranty replacement because I have had too many issues...alternator whine coming through the stereo, popping when changing radio stations and changing from FM to AM when restarting the vehicle. Tried to fix these issues by improving the grounds and using the RCA noise isolators but after swapping to a Pioneer head unit all those problems are gone.