Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missfire nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default missfire nightmare

I don't know where to start... I was just out for drive after finishing a brake service and replacing the trans temp sensor. I had noticed that the engine had been idling a little rough lately but nothing bad. I had in mind that the spark plugs were simply due to be replaced as I used cheap plugs about 12,000 miles ago when I was diagnosing a running rich problem and never got around to installing a proper set.

Anyhow was driving when all of a sudden I drove on the shoulder to get around a turning car and that's when everything went wrong. Check engine light started to flash and the ultra gauge popped p0306 and p1319. p0306 is easy but p1319 is a bit strange. Something about low fuel even though I had over half tank.

Anyhow today I change the spark plugs and number 6 cylinder stopped popping codes but the engine sounds terribly wrong. I rechecked all my wires only to find cylinder 5 the connector between the spark plug and the wire had broke free. These are magnacore wires that I replaced when I last did the spark plugs. Lucky for me I had a spare set of older wires kicking around from my parts truck that I figured I could use for diag. Went ahead and changed the cylinder 5 wire and sure enough I am not getting an engine light but cylinder five is misfiring according to the live data from my lynx diag and the engine is running like a bag of sh@t. It sounds like some of the pistons are going up and down compressing but no detonation.

What next? change the coil packs?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by me6067
I don't know where to start... I was just out for drive after finishing a brake service and replacing the trans temp sensor. I had noticed that the engine had been idling a little rough lately but nothing bad. I had in mind that the spark plugs were simply due to be replaced as I used cheap plugs about 12,000 miles ago when I was diagnosing a running rich problem and never got around to installing a proper set.

Anyhow was driving when all of a sudden I drove on the shoulder to get around a turning car and that's when everything went wrong. Check engine light started to flash and the ultra gauge popped p0306 and p1319. p0306 is easy but p1319 is a bit strange. Something about low fuel even though I had over half tank.

Anyhow today I change the spark plugs and number 6 cylinder stopped popping codes but the engine sounds terribly wrong. I rechecked all my wires only to find cylinder 5 the connector between the spark plug and the wire had broke free. These are magnacore wires that I replaced when I last did the spark plugs. Lucky for me I had a spare set of older wires kicking around from my parts truck that I figured I could use for diag. Went ahead and changed the cylinder 5 wire and sure enough I am not getting an engine light but cylinder five is misfiring according to the live data from my lynx diag and the engine is running like a bag of sh@t. It sounds like some of the pistons are going up and down compressing but no detonation.

What next? change the coil packs?
You got it right. A complete tune up will do. Fill tank and add some injector cleaner. Thats me thou.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's un update... Check engine light is not longer flashing after having replaced spark plugs, wires and swap out coil packs from my parts truck. Back new is engine doesn't sound right whatsoever, based on listening to similar you tube videos it sounds like a slipped liner.