Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Pre-sales advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Pre-sales advice

So I've been looking for a while, and think I am a little educated from all of the reading I've done here, but have a couple more questions.

No lack of Discos here, but a lot of people have, in my opinion, a rather inflated value of their trucks, or maybe I'm just cheap. No matter, it's hard finding a well maintained one cheap.

I've just looked at a 2004 Base Disco, nice black paint, 122,000. One owner, maintained at a local indy mechanic. Everything looks pretty good, drivers seat a little torn, otherwise good. New tires, recent transfer rebuild, HG last year, ProShaft, new cooling stuff (overflow, hoses), water pump, etc...So he has maintained it okay.

The only question I have then is: there is a little seepage from the valve cover, which he said had always been there and he just has the gasket changed frequently and keeps the oil off the o2 sensor below. I know leakage is pretty common, but is this something to really be concerned about? The price is great, at least in my mind. I can do without the options, although I like sunroofs.

That leaking is the only thing right now, I know there must be more issues, but I can handle them.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The seat is probably a couple hundred dollars to repair. The leaking valve cover is an easy fix, probably just needs to be tightened, but if not then take it out and use a can of Right-Stuff to make a new one (or two). If it's under $10k then it might be fine. If you're considering spending more than that I would get some additional pre-sales advice from those who could help you vet a D2 better than I can.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by binvanna
The seat is probably a couple hundred dollars to repair. The leaking valve cover is an easy fix, probably just needs to be tightened, but if not then take it out and use a can of Right-Stuff to make a new one (or two). If it's under $10k then it might be fine. If you're considering spending more than that I would get some additional pre-sales advice from those who could help you vet a D2 better than I can.
Okay, that's what I read somewhere about the leak. That makes me happy.

The price is way under 10K, way, a good deal for sure I think.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Winching

It could be... I wouldn't take my comment as price-advice. It's just that we've seen some people on here get excited about some Discovery II they found that they think is the car of their dreams and it's like $11k or something. The real problem isn't the crazy high prices, but the fact that they're blind to the additional $4k of work the car needs, and they're set for their dream car to become a nightmare.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Mudding

I understand, I have several other odd vehicles that needed a lot of care, so I'm not too worried. I'll have a look at that first thing and see if they are loose.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even know you have records, I would find another over mechanic to look over it.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You really need to have a Rover mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection so you know what you are buying. Not being a mechanic or familiar with Disco's, you really don't know what to look for. This will save you a lot of money down the road.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Winching

It sounds wise, but there's money to be made/saved in taking risk. If you run the seller through the ringer to prove the vehicle is "good" then they have no inclination to lower the price. If you hassle them to death and walk away from a good vehicle that's not too kindly. Sometimes the best way to save a few bucks is to have the seller recognize their sales proposition is for you the buyer to take some risk, and if the price is low enough, it might be an easy (hassle-free) sale. They'll be inclined to let it go. Asking for more proof, guarantees, or assurance isn't always the way to get a low price or save money.

If you've already involved the car's indy mechanic and heard from them yourself about this car, that should be enough to assure this isn't a total rip-off scam. That mechanics reputation is on the line and they have nothing to gain from ripping you off. If you haven't, just ring them up and say, hey, should I get this car? You don't need a full inspection, just ask the mechanic if there's anything you *need* to know about it.

Then assume some risk in buying the car (if you do indeed want it), and use the risk you're assuming to negotiate a little better price from the seller. And don't forget to expect some considerable expenses in replacing worn components and in ongoing maintenance. I think you already understand these are high-need cars. Because of that, it's not so important to have it verified that the car is perfect (even if it is, it won't be for long). What's more important is that you really, really like the car, or you will be really, really hating it not long from now. There's got to be something that makes it worth it to you.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Mudding

Thanks everyone, it is all good advice. I fairly sure it is a good deal. While I'm no mechanic I have rebuilt a few Bristish cars over the years and have a fair eye. The guy was straight up, offered a lot without me asking and pointed out issues before I noticed. He doesn't seem like the cheap sort and had the recipts to show he has maintained it well since it was new. I'll go today and see about it and let you all know. The forum is a great resource for sure.