Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Custom Mounted GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Default My Custom Mounted GPS

Working from home has freed up a few hours a day for me thanks to not having to commute, so I knocked out a project that's been waiting for me for a while and thought I would share some photos and information.

The pictures below show the Garmin RV 760LMT installed. I picked it up used on eBay for $185 (they're $400 new). I listed the rest of the items needed as well. I hard wired it into the fuse box below the steering column. The whole project was super easy. I screwed the Ram mount to the dash so its rock steady. The camera draws power off of the reverse lights.

The Garmin starts as soon as the ignition is on and no matter what screen the Garmin is on, the second you put the truck in reverse the camera view is shown. I selected this unit because it works with aftermarket wired cameras. It can also work with a wireless Garmin camera if needed.

RAM Ball Adapter with AMPS Plate
Amazon Amazon

RAM Composite Double Socket Arm
Amazon Amazon

RAM MOUNTS (RAM-HOL-GA61LU) Locking Case
Amazon Amazon

Used Garmin RV 760LMT with lifetime traffic and map updates
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/135455

Garmin RCA to 3.5mm Video Cable for Backup Camera
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/70938

Bullet Camera
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by TimInNova; 03-20-2020 at 01:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TimInNova:
cmansilla (02-18-2022), JohnZo (02-18-2022), piperff (03-21-2020), SadaJones (08-05-2023)
Old 03-20-2020, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Nice job! And you put the mount screws in a good place. Easy to hide if you remove it. no center dash damage!

Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Awesome... Love it.....

P.S. Be sure to refill that hand sanitizer with lubricating jelly for your passengers.......

Old 03-22-2020, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Dude, that is awesome. Part #s, plz ;-)

This "work-from-home" routine is definitely beneficial to car enthusiasts and their suppliers.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job! I thinked that Garmin doesn't support aftermarket cameras

Old 02-18-2022, 12:15 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, this was for another post...

Last edited by cmansilla; 02-21-2022 at 06:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (02-18-2022)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Can I do a quick survey and not totally hijack this thread? What radar detector do you have in your Defender? What is your favorite if you have one in a different vehicle? Just trying to do some light research since (surprisingly!), I've never owned one. Pro's/cons are also good. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2023, 06:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Can I do a quick survey and not totally hijack this thread? What radar detector do you have in your Defender? What is your favorite if you have one in a different vehicle? Just trying to do some light research since (surprisingly!), I've never owned one. Pro's/cons are also good. Thanks!
Valentine One generation 2 is excellent at Ka radar protection and screening out false signals like BSM & backup radar. Arrows indicate where the radar is coming from will detect multiple radar signals at the same time. Unlike the first generation V1 I had, it also screens out front laser from Volvo and Infiniti vehicles. Of course it can't protect you from instant-on radar but most cops are lazy and just leave the radar on as cars go by.

V1 will detect laser but like any other radar detector it's probably too late once it detects laser. I used to have a ALP laser jammer in our LR4 that worked great. But the new laser guns give cops the advantage. Now they indicate when their laser gun is being jammed instead of simply not providing the speed reading. Plus they work from a mile away and take a photo of the speed reading and your front license plate and save it to memory for when you go to court. Know that laser requires the cop to be stationary and will not work through glass. Look in the distance for an unmarked car parked perpendicular to the road with a window open.

V1 uses what looks like a phone cord, but not all phone cords work with it. (Depends on number of wires inside the phone cord) If you order a V1, just order a second straight power cord and buy a phone line connector from Lowes. I needed the length of 2 cords to wire from the center power outlet, under the dash, inside the A-pillar and under the front edge of the headliner to where the V1 is mounted to the left of the mirror. I wasn't comfortable with using wire taps in the top center console. Start one wire at the power plug and work left by removing the panel under the steering wheel. Exposed torx screws make it easy to remove the far left grab handle and get the wire from under the dash to there. Then start the second wire at the mounted detector and stuff the wire under the headliner and under the front edge of the A-pillar inside trim. I used a plastic putty knife but a credit card will work too. Meet at the far left of the dash where you removed the grab handle. Connect the wires, zip tie the excess cord into a bundle and wrap that bundle with felt tape or adhesive felt so it does not rattle inside the dashboard.

Last edited by PaulLR; 04-13-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I have a Uniden R7. It offers extremely sensitive detection and great customization via software. I use it in my RR on the highway. It's especially good when cruising to Colorado from Kansas. It's a long, flat drive and I usually set the cruise at 84. If a cop is running radar, it'll detect them well over a mile away in the flats.
Another good driving companion is the Waze app which you can load on your phone. It provides crowdsourced reports. People can report all kinds of things from objects on the road to cops sitting at a speed trap. It's pretty popular and I'd say it reports 75% of the cops running a speed trap. A lot of truckers use it.