Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts
Default my first disco 2

well happy to say just bought a 2004 disc se7, good condition, 10000k with a private warranty from easy care total warranty, looking forward to learning more about the vehicle and how it all works, prob wont do any mods, just keeping maintenance up to date, would love to do some light off road but here in ontario canada we dont have much of that, black on black beauty, new engine block, so hopefully i wont have any major problems. very excited

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pics!!!

then get on a creeper and spend a few hours getting to know the truck

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

congrats.... spend some time reading thru whatever catches your eye on this forum. the amount of information is staggering. Also a MUST do is going to be Mikes MAJOR SERVICE.... it can be found at the top of the page. have fun.. and I am pretty sure that if you were to head north a few hours you could find some pretty good offroading.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

If you're looking to get off road, you might want to hook up with the Ottawa Valley Land Rovers group. I don't know them personally, but a bunch of my friends do and say they're a great bunch...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM
TReK

thanks for the ideas, i will definetly be doing my maintenance, any one know where i can get those plastic plate holder bolts, only got 2 and dont feel like driving all the way to the dealers ???

Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, count the number of grease fittings on the front drive shaft, if only 1 then plan on rebuilding/replacing the front shaft ASAP because they have a high failure rate and can take out the tranny when they break.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM
TReK

thanks for the advise mike, im still trying to get familiar with these drive shafts u joints etc, as this is my first suv type vehicle, where would i find the grease fittings, left right side ? and if there is more than 1 where were they be, and does that mean if it has more than one has it been rebuilt already?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
TReK

this might sound stupid, but can someone explain to me the shafts and u joints under my truck, is there 2 differentials ? when i lock it in high does it lock all 4 wheels

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
...is there 2 differentials ? when i lock it in high does it lock all 4 wheels
(Note: I'm letting someone else explain the drive shafts and u-joints...as for the rest, this is extremely over simplified, but I'll take a shot explaining the diffs...)

Functionally there are 3 'open' differentials on your D2. One on each axle and the center differential in the transfer case.

'Open' differentials in a truck like this will transfer power from an input shaft out to outputs (in the case 2 drive shafts) along the path of least resistance. This is fine when all 4 wheels are firmly planted on warm dry pavement, but can be a problem off road or in the snow where conditions are less than ideal. (In such conditions, the path of least resistance, tends to be at the slippery end of things.) To offset this tendency, your D2 is equipped with traction control. The traction control will selectively apply the brakes to any wheel that is spinning, thus tricking the open diff to send more power to the other wheel on a given 3rd member. (Note: the 3rd member is the combined unit including the differential, axels, diff housing, etc.)

Like the open diffs in each of your 3rd members, the center diff in the transfer case is an 'open' diff, but on your '04 it has a mechism to allow you to lock it. Without the center diff locked, it can transfer up to 100% of the power to either the front or the rear diff. (As noted above, along the path of least resistance.)

If you're following me so far, then you've probably guessed that under the wrong circumstances (i.e.- hip deep in a mud hole, a nice deep snow drift, etc), without traction control this could result in all of the power being transferred to one 3rd member and then to a single wheel...which would just spin and spins and... you get the idea.

Anyway, when you lock the center differential, it transfers 50% of the power to the front axle and 50% to the rear axle. In the absence of traction control, this will effectively mean that you will always have at least 2 wheels moving.

In theory, as long as your traction control is functioning properly you shouldn't need to lock the center diff (transfer case). In the real world though, we know that we sometimes need to lock it for other reasons, such as when you get visits from things like 'the 3 Amigos'. (Before Disco Mike yells, I should point out that if you've done all your maintenance, you shouldn't have 'the 3 Amigos', but it is a valid example and otherwise a different topic.) The fact that Rover finally realized that it was still needed is best illustrated by them putting the shifter back on the D2's for the '04 model year.

Last edited by dcarr1971; 06-07-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added some clarifying statements and stuff
Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
TReK

thanks for the info, i will check to see if it has been rebuilt, if not any suggestions on new ones ? i've been reading about tom woods, but i think thats a bit over kill, what are u guys putting in ?

Quick Reply: my first disco 2