Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Coolant Leak Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Coolant Leak Disco II

I have been experiencing coolant leak for quite sometime and recently I replaced a few parts. I changed the Thermostat, Coolant Cap, lower and upper hoses, T/B Plate, both hoses that connect to the T/B Plate, Water Pump and Water Pump Gasket. I changed out the Valve Cover Gaskets as well because I noticed leak on the driver side Valve Cover towards the back.

Before all the above replacements, I could visually see the puddle of coolant that was left behind from my Disco. Now, I don't see any leaks on the floor, nor do I see leaks anywhere. I do here gurgling noise from my dash and I have bled my cooling system. I had the coolant tank slightly tilted as I filled the coolant and then released the bleed screw until coolant started steadily flowing through. I had the engine on will performing this process. I have also squeezed all the hoses to make sure there was coolant running through. I believe I did it right, but again, I am still green at this whole fixing car thing. I am at a lost right now. I hope this is not a Head Gasket issue.

Does anyone have other remedies or suggestions that could resolve this issue? Or do I just live with it and fill the tank up with coolant when it gets low.

Last edited by DiscoHan; 09-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Wrong bleed procedure...

First start with the engine stone cold... not running.

Take the overflow tank completely out and raise it up as high as the bottom hose will allow it to go.

Then fill through the overflow tank until a steady stream comes out the bleed screw. Now refit the bleed screw before dropping the tank back in its place.

Reseat the tank, put cap on, drive and run the heat on high for a bit.

If after this you still hear water under the dash wait and repeat again when engine is stone cold.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So are you losing coolant or just getting the waterfall sound behind the dash?

The waterfall sound is just air in the system. Bleed the system the way the member above ^^ talked about, Engine off.

Here is the full refill procedure from the RAVE:Cooling System- Drain and Refill.pdf

Old 09-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow. I am actually losing coolant. It's steady and I can't find any signs of the reminisce.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Overlanding

So curious, would I lose coolant if I didn't bleed the cooling system right? Or is there another issue?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

rent or borrow a cooling system pressure tester, pump your system up to 18 psi while wiggling and pulling on every hose. im guessing you wont even get close to 18, if so you have a leak.

Last edited by drowssap; 09-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

headgaskets.
coolant is going into a cylinder
ruins the cats too
and out he tailpipe

Happened to me.
See here

http://jeffreyfall.com/landrover

Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go freaking out just yet. It sounds as if you changed out quite a few parts that would require you bleeding the system. If the system wasn't bled all of the way you will hear the waterfall sound behind the dash indicating air pockets in your system. This is what happened to me after I dealt with numerous coolant issues, more precisely, the throttle body heater gasket replacement. Thought the system was bled correctly, had a huge drop in coolant over the next 2 days and then topped it up again. How often are you checking it? How often are you seeing it lose coolant? Makes sense to me that if you fixed the leaking problem and you're not noticing the puddles on the floor, a reasonable explanation would be air pockets in your coolant system. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

rent or borrow a cooling tester, pump your system up to 18 psi while wiggling and pulling on every hose. im guessing you wont even get close to 18, if so you have a leak.

if after 20 minutes you still are holding 18 psi, loosen the upper heater hose clamp on the heater core and vent any trapped air from there.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abnormals_anonymous
I wouldn't go freaking out just yet. It sounds as if you changed out quite a few parts that would require you bleeding the system. If the system wasn't bled all of the way you will hear the waterfall sound behind the dash indicating air pockets in your system. This is what happened to me after I dealt with numerous coolant issues, more precisely, the throttle body heater gasket replacement. Thought the system was bled correctly, had a huge drop in coolant over the next 2 days and then topped it up again. How often are you checking it? How often are you seeing it lose coolant? Makes sense to me that if you fixed the leaking problem and you're not noticing the puddles on the floor, a reasonable explanation would be air pockets in your coolant system. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice. I bled the system according to RAVE and I notice when I held the coolant tank high, it immediately gurgled the coolant. I also re tightened all the clamps that crimped the cooling hoses. Thats when I noticed that the hose connecting to the manifold had some leak due to a loose clamp. I believe these two factors, especially that clamp issue, could be the reason the coolant level was declining. If this doesn't work, I will go get a pressure tester.

Quick Reply: Mysterious Coolant Leak Disco II