Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Need advice about cooling system - 2003 Disco II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/need-advice-about-cooling-system-2003-disco-ii-35469/)

RoverR 11-06-2010 01:18 PM

Need advice about cooling system - 2003 Disco II

Hello all,
Recently purchased a 2003 Discovery II ( love it ). Spoke to a good friend who is an automobile mechanic, he told me that if I had any brand of dexcool as coolant, get it out ; and guess what , the former owner did in fact use Shell Zone dexcool , so I want to get it out of the cooling system.
I beg your advice as I will definitely flush the entire cooling system -

1. Exactly what are the correct steps to flush the entire system.
2. What coolant brand and type should I then use.

I have wanted a Discovery II for a long time, and I plan to keep the car for a long time.
Plaese help, Thanks

Disco Mike 11-06-2010 01:24 PM

Get the best green or yellow coolant you can buy.
How many miles on the truck? I would suggest that if it is at 80,000 or so look at my list on major services and do a complete service on that truck, including a new t/stat, 8 mm plug wires and check to see if the front drive shaft as been rebuilt or replaced, or check and see how many grease fitting are on the front, if only 1 get it done before it fail and takes out your tranny with it.
Also, did you check to see if your truck falls with in Rover vin. numbers for their possible oil pump/engine failure hit list, make sure to do it.

RoverR 11-06-2010 01:53 PM

Thanks Mike !
Will check on the front driveshaft situation asap.
Could you guide me step-by-step through the 'flush system' exercise ?
Also, I will get the coolant you recommended, should I get any 'additives' to put in when I refill the system ?

RoverR 11-06-2010 02:03 PM

Mile,
Just checked my VIN number, and it falls almost right in the middle of the 'bad' numbers , what should I do.
Also, you asked the mileage, it is 105,000, and I kid you not the vehicle appears to have only 5,000 miles, it is perfect , clean, rust-free all over. We purchased it from a neighbor who 'babied' the car. If you want any photos just tell me how to post them.

lipadj46 11-06-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 207469)
Get the best green or yellow coolant you can buy.

I almost fell out of my chair, Mike you don't recommend dex any longer? ;)

Disco Mike 11-06-2010 04:22 PM

Hey, even old farts can change their minds. I have been having an on-going conversation with a long time Rover man and am aware of my errors.

RoverR 11-06-2010 05:04 PM

Gentlemen,
I have determined that my Discovery is smack-dab in the middle of the problem VIN numbers, should I just wait for the end ? ( only kidding )
Also, can anyone talk me through the exact step-by-step prodedure for flushing out the present dexcool coolant ?
Thanks

lipadj46 11-06-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by RoverR (Post 207502)
Gentlemen,
I have determined that my Discovery is smack-dab in the middle of the problem VIN numbers, should I just wait for the end ? ( only kidding )
Also, can anyone talk me through the exact step-by-step prodedure for flushing out the present dexcool coolant ?
Thanks

OK buy 2 gallons of zerex G05 and say 5 gallons of distilled water. Your truck takes about 3 gallons of diluted coolant.

1) Disconnect the Tee on your radiator top hose, disconnect the bottom hose from your radiator and pull off the thermostat. Also pull off the 2 heater hoses.

2) Take a garden hose and stick it in the radiator top hose and flush until the water comes out pretty clear, stick the hose in the bottom of the radiator and back flush. Stick the hose nozzle in the hose that goes into the block and flush the block. Stick the hose in the right heater hose and flush and then stick it in the left hose and back flush.

3) Hook everything back up, put the clamps back on except for the bottom radiator hose clamp. Refill with distilled water, bleed the air and start the truck, put the heat on high and wait until it gets up to temp making sure there is heat coming out.

4) Pull the bottom hose drain and refill with distilled water, bleed, run the engine with heat on until it comes back up to heat.

5) Repeat step 4 until clear water comes out, then for the final fill add 1.5 gallons of G05 concentrate and top off with water if needed. Pull the expansion tank up on the battery cover while you are filling and then when you are full crack the bleed screw until coolant squirts out.

6) Start the truck and bring it up to heat with the heat on high and make sure you have heat. If you don't you need to pull the heater hoses and flush and backflush the heater core again. Then drive around and when it cools top off with water (or coolant if you were not able to get a 1.5 gallons in at first) if needed.

You are done for a few years or 50,000 miles, G05 is good stuff.

As far as having a lemon, I would install an oi pressure gauge and keep an eye on your pressure.

RoverR 11-06-2010 07:55 PM

Hi Lipadj46,
Many thanks ! That is exactly the guidance I needed. Will get busy in the next few days and get this accomplished.

LandGrover 08-14-2017 07:42 AM

My air flow on my 04 Disco is not up to par . Is this possibly the fan? The fan works on all settings and has me wondering. I understand that there is no cabin filter so what would be recommended maintenance on the AC system ?