Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of Ball Joint advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default In need of Ball Joint advice

I have a weird situation. A few months ago I had my mechanic change the ball joints (upper and lower) in my truck.

I was hearing a clunk clunk under the truck that seemed to come and go. I could not trace it down so I had a suspension shop look at it. They reported that my upper ball joints had play in them (2 months old) and that my sway arm bushings were wore out.

Before I go down and yell at my mechanic, how is it possible for the new ball joints to be bad? Is there room for error when installing them or is it more likely bad parts (NAPA)?

The suspension shop showed me the tire moving back and forth a little. Is some play normal? They didn't think so.

I would appreciate any input from those familiar with joint replacement. Also, would it be better to use poly bushings when I change them out?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

New ball joints will have no side to side play. Up and down is acceptable if within the manufactures spec. I have had bad parts arrive plenty of times. Also if the person installing the new joints doesn't take care, they can be easily damaged.

Sounds like warranty to me.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

You don't check a ball joint by grasping the wheel...you put a pry-bar under the wheel, with wheel a few inches off the ground (suspension unloaded from weight) and pry up on the wheel and look at ball joint for movement. There should be none.

Sounds like you need a new suspension shop. The sway bar bushings could be the knocking noise issue, but if you are seeing movement at the wheel/tire, side to side or in and out at top...most likely the hub is bad.

Brian.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Yep sounds more like a hub.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"I had a suspension shop look at it. They reported that my upper ball joints had play in them (2 months old) and that my sway arm were wore out." I would d trust a suspension shop, to know at least enough to diagnose upper ball joint play. Further, I would seriously doubt that new ball joints were worn or damaged, but WOULD suspect that some so-called mechanics might damage them, in installing them. I know a guy who had a "good" mechanic install lower ball joint, but he had so much trouble trying to install the upper one, that he gave up, so owner had a suspension shop finish the job. Are you certain that the mechanic did not leave the original upper ball joins on, in frustration, or that he did not damage them when trying to install them? I am convinced that some "common" mechanics can't install ball joints, because they lack enough knowledge, or, more likely, procedure is too complex a job, requiring tools they do not have, to do the job right, after watching good suspension shop do the job a few times, and knowing a thing or two about mechanics myself. Good ball joints can never wear out in only two months, for certain.