Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Need to clear ABS codes? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/need-clear-abs-codes-87233/)

KingKoopa 12-06-2017 07:53 PM

Need to clear ABS codes?

Ok, in the past, I paid to have someone scan the SLABS and tell me that I had an ABS sensor fault. Changed the sensor, and the amigos turned off before I got out of the neighborhood.

Now the amigos are back. I've changed the 3 other sensors, and I did the option B fix last year. Is it possible that I just need to have the codes cleared before I'm all good or should it have cleared itself if it had been a sensor issue?

LR03NJ 12-07-2017 12:01 AM

I am having some amigos at the moment. Upon start, no amigos but after I hit a bump. I guess it resets itself.

huggi 12-07-2017 09:03 AM

I have the same question, got the amigos after a ball joint job, changed the and sensors..... Still there on startup

CollieRover 12-07-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by huggi (Post 628422)
I have the same question, got the amigos after a ball joint job, changed the and sensors..... Still there on startup

They are hard faults so they need to be cleared, or they will continue to come on. Have you reset them?

OffroadFrance 12-07-2017 06:31 PM

Be careful, some aftermarket reluctor rings and bearings have less reluctor tags. Many and genuine are 60 tags whereas some aftermarket are only 55 to 59 tags which causes an imbalance if mixed with genuine.

You defo need to sort any 3 amigo codes then delete them and then test drive to check if they return. Often they don't but sometimes they do. Often it results as a bad plug connection requiring some electrical contact spray in the plug and socket. Sometimes it's a defective wheel bearing or defective abs sensor, particularly aftermarket ones. Aftermarket sensors are often a fraction too long and make contact with reluctor rings.

Best4x4 12-07-2017 08:39 PM

If you're having the 3 amigo's after performing Option B you either have a bad shuttle valve switch, bad ground, wiring issue, or a hub/wheel sensor problem.

The ABS SLABS unit will store hard faults like sensors and shuttle valves and the lights will not just go on/off. If the 3 amigos are there upon startup, and after a key cycle they go away you normally have a wiring issue/shuttle valve plug problem.

I use my LR2 Icarsoft scanner to read the faults before I even open the hood. If you don't view the code history first you are really just grasping at straws.

KingKoopa 12-08-2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4 (Post 628504)
If you're having the 3 amigo's after performing Option B you either have a bad shuttle valve switch, bad ground, wiring issue, or a hub/wheel sensor problem.

The ABS SLABS unit will store hard faults like sensors and shuttle valves and the lights will not just go on/off. If the 3 amigos are there upon startup, and after a key cycle they go away you normally have a wiring issue/shuttle valve plug problem.

I use my LR2 Icarsoft scanner to read the faults before I even open the hood. If you don't view the code history first you are really just grasping at straws.

But see idk how sensors faults will cause hard codes that need to be cleared, because I've definitely changed a bad sensor and had all the lights turn off less than 100 yards from my driveway.

I guess I'll just invest in a better scantool. Foxwell nt510 seems like a good bet, I just wish there was something cheaper than the nanocom that would program keys and turn on / off bcu options.

Best4x4 12-10-2017 08:04 PM

Maybe a different firmware, but whenever I had a sensor fail = hard fault and had to be reset via a scanner. I like my Icarsoft LR2 scantool. I had one disconnect in a parking lot (loose connector) and had to deal with the 3 amigos the entire trip home.

KingKoopa 12-10-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4 (Post 628775)
Maybe a different firmware, but whenever I had a sensor fail = hard fault and had to be reset via a scanner. I like my Icarsoft LR2 scantool. I had one disconnect in a parking lot (loose connector) and had to deal with the 3 amigos the entire trip home.

Interesting. Rovers never fail to trip me up.

Have two updates to report. I figured out that the three newest sensors I installed had a dome at the end of them and we're contacting the reluctor wheels. So I removed all three and spaced them out with a washer. I picked the thinnest ones I had laying around the garage but I won't know if they were too thick or not until my scanner gets here Tuesday.

KingKoopa 12-13-2017 06:44 PM

Alright, the 3 cheap sensors I bought are giving me grief. So which ones should I be buying that aren't $50 a piece?