Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front driveshaft. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need front driveshaft. Which one?

I use a D2 front driveshaft on my lifted D1. The one I have was built by a local big truck shop with Spicer components. The U joints are greaseable and they're still good, but the centering ball and socket are shot. I would just take it back to them to rebuild but it's an hour drive each way so I thought I'd look into buying one outright.

My typical parts suppliers like Rovers North and Atlantic British stock them for ~$500. But I also see some for sale elsewhere for much less, even $150. I've had a front shaft fail and take out both the transmission (valve body) and the transfer case, so I'm not inclined to be cheap. The one I had break had the big-*** Spicer H-block from GBR. The one I'm running most recently is the same size as the stock D2 shaft. I'm all-in on this Rover, wheeling it for 10 years now. If I have to pay ~$500 to get good components, I'll just get mine rebuilt. But what about the Lucky8 driveshaft? They want $158 shipped on Amazon for it. Is it any good?

And what's up with the nuts? Why is there a special tool? I think I know why, because I destroyed a nut removing it. But what is it that makes these nuts suck and need a special tool to keep from rounding the corners? Why can't I just put good grade 8 nuts on there? I really don't want to be frustrated by this because pulling the driveshaft can be necessary in the field and this last time it took me too long to screw around with one nut. Do I need this driveshaft nut tool? or just non-crap nuts?

Old 12-08-2020, 06:16 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the lucky 8 one in my stock D2, seems to work fine. It was about $200 a few years ago.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:20 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I have a Lucky8 driveshaft, but I haven't put it any great tests so I can't speak to its longevity. Others do say that it holds up pretty well.
The nut tool is just because they can be a bit of a pain to get to. Nothing special about the nuts themselves. I've never had one, and I've taken both shafts off multiple times off multiple trucks.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

$158 shipped on Amazon for it. Is it any good? Thats the one I bought this summer, seems like a high quality part,
time will tell but the price was right!

Old 12-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the Lucky 8 part as well, so far so good but I will be the first to admit that my truck hasn't seen any harsh trail conditions. I for the life of me could not get the nuts off of the original driveshaft (with 165k on it) so I ended up paying a shop to swap it out.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

I bought the most expensive one (won't name names) and although I'm sure it's strong as an ox, the damn thing vibrates and annoys the ever living crap out of me. I swapped back in the 103K mile stocker, and it's smooth as silk.

My point is, I'd just get the standard driveshaft.

So annoying.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I just installed the Lucky 8 front driveshaft a week ago. It works great with my 2 inch lift.

The following users liked this post:
overover02 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Recently installed the lucky8 Tom Woods. No vibration and had emailed a question and Shawn Woods replied. Pretty good support !

Old 12-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered the front driveshaft from Lucky8 for my 02' Disco (just got shipped yesterday)... well, actually I ordered from Amazon (it's the same exact item from their own website), but for $30 cheaper (I paid $158 SHIPPED on Amazon). I was a little confused, but found out they sell on Amazon under the "Proper Spec" name. Also found out that the Amazon pricing is fluid as it's based off of many predetermined factors that have been setup (including other sellers' pricing).

Old 12-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

my Lucky8 shaft lasted less than 8k miles and failed on a cross country trip yesterday. Caught it before it blew up but I would not recommend that driveshaft. The extra coin for a Tom woods is well spent as I've had zero issues with that in my other disco and that truck sees a lot of trail time and overall abuse.

Quick Reply: Need front driveshaft. Which one?