Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Farm's response ....

Originally Posted by jafir
After installing my bumper, winch, and lift I called my agent and asked about adding them. He said it wasn't needed. He said that anything bolted to the car was covered automatically. He said that if I added a huge sound system (his example, not mine) that it would be covered if the box was bolted down, but not if it was just sitting in the back.
I was just told by the "Total Loss Representative" that an ARB Bumper with a WARN winch is only worth $150 ... and that a full Adventure roof rack is a $100 value...

What's worse is that I'm not sure I can even remove those items at this point.

This sucks.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Pundzak
I was just told by the "Total Loss Representative" that an ARB Bumper with a WARN winch is only worth $150 ... and that a full Adventure roof rack is a $100 value...

This sucks.
Then give them back $250 and keep them. They are not damaged, so not part of the claim. I don't know what legalities there are, but I'd fight that a bit.

I dislike Insurance a LOT, biggest scam since banking. You pay for years on something and never get anything back. Then, the one time you need something, they try to cheat you all the way...

I had a leak in a window in my home one time and it damaged my carpet. I called State Farm to find out my options. I decided to fix it myself and not apply it to my insurance because I thought it might raise my premium. They STILL claimed the damage on my home, didn't pay me, AND raised my premium because of future possible mold issues. I decided to leave them, but because I had a "Water" claim, no other insurance company would accept me for 3 years!!! On the EXACT 3 year anniversary, I LEFT them.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Pundzak

This sucks.
You own it. You can do what you want with it.

Also, you don't have to accept their under valued prices. They should have a way you can dispute their values. I'd think a used ARB, without the winch, is probably worth $500 to the right sucker. I've known people to negotiate the value of their totaled cars, so you might be able to negotiate the value of the parts. I'd call one of the used parts guys that deals in rovers, and see if they'll tell you what their going rate is for used accessories like you have, and then submit that to the adjuster. Maybe even get a few quotes just so they can see you are not fooled by their numbers. They are in business to make money, so they will pay you as little as possible.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jafir
You own it. You can do what you want with it.
Very true, until you sign their check, it's YOUR truck. Negotiate...

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Tell them to take the roof rack right out of the claim, it is an add-on not part of the stock truck, same goes for the winch.

The bumper is a different story, the truck came with a bumper, they insured it with a bumper, you must return it to them with a bumper. If you have the stock one put it back on.

If not you have to play by their rules, which is they call 3 salvage yards and say would you pay for a bumper and average them out.

If you owned a SY and someone called you and said how much would you pay for a bumper? You would probably say $150 too.

Of course all states, companys and policies are different, but this is something that a lot of people on this site should be paying attention too.

Just because you put all that money into your truck does not mean that they have to give it back to you, unless you have additional coverage.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-26-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
4wd High

Rover Resolution!

Negotiation rules. Probably crazy, but I'm gonna keep it, fix it and take their cash to do it!
Let you all know how it works out.
In the meantime, words fail to express my appreciation for all the suggestions and comments during this ordeal. You guys rock.

Joe Pundzak
99 DISCO II
214000 miles and hoping for more
Boone, IA

Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You won't need all their cash, but there are always things to buy for the Rover. How about a close up pix of the damaged bundle?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
4wd High

Buzz,
You're so right ... she needs a new spare tire mount, ladder and a new hinge for the back door.
Regarding the photo, I'd be glad to but ... how in the hell do you post a photo here? If there are instructions, I'm not seeing them.
Joe Pundzak

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

make the pic as small in size as possible.
You can't upload a pic which is probably more than 200kb.
Pic of 1 mb - forget it.

Use the paper clip attach button.
then select the pic.
Then upload.
Then upload another one.
Then close.

Then post the post.

Remember, smallest size possible.

A cell phone is a good way to take a pic for this BB.
A real camera is not.
Will be way too big for the BB to process.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench

I just created a video and posted it over HERE to help with images.