Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with oil leaks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Check around on the front mail seal. I was quoted $250 to $300. Premier Rover (no relation) here in San Diego did it for $110 parts and labor. Hasn't leaked a drop since, the front seal that is. As for the rest of the vehicle...........a drip here and there and over there and some from there, well you get the idea.

As for cleaning solutions, I like Simple Green, it is environmentally friendly, non toxic and won't damage anything under the hood. Best to get your engine warmed up, not hot, use a squirt bottle, soak things down, rinse repeat as necessary. Until I get my head gasket/valley pan gasket issue resolved, I spray and rinse every weekend. (I can't stand drips in my driveway)

Also, what year is your vehicle and how many miles.

Phil

1999 DI
2001 DII

It is 2003 with 75000 miles.

Again to everybody.... thanks a lot guys. Really appriciate it!!!
I'll keep you updated.
Boris

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
That is terrible advice. It is the exact opposite of what you should do. Chemicals will eat the seals and cause more leaks. Only use water to clean your engine. You can go to a car wash ang keep the high pressure away from the alt, coil packs and ecu, but on a D2, you can spray whatever you want.

To the OP, have you checked to make sure the separator in the top of the passenger valve cover is clean and clear? If the PCV system is plugged, you will leak.

The front main isn't too bad, but if you are not mechanical, you may want to let a shop do it. You can download the Rave manual in my sig, it is free and will show you what to do, step by step.
Okdisco...you come off really dis respectful....if you don't like my way of cleaning a dirty engine...then just post your idea....don't trash mine...my feelings aren't hurt none, but I wouldn't do what you've done... I just cleaned my new engine and water don't clean oil....so I used a rag and a can for the oil build up.... the seals wernt harmed at all...I've never been a fan of lots of water and engines.....but to each there own...with respect....

Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03discoman
Okdisco...you come off really dis respectful....if you don't like my way of cleaning a dirty engine...then just post your idea....don't trash mine...my feelings aren't hurt none, but I wouldn't do what you've done... I just cleaned my new engine and water don't clean oil....so I used a rag and a can for the oil build up.... the seals wernt harmed at all...I've never been a fan of lots of water and engines.....but to each there own...with respect....
Just telling you that it is a bad idea. Just like Spike's idea on "using the whole can" for a throttle body cleaning. The seals in these engines are not good to start with.

I am not trying to be dis-respectful to you and apologize if I hurt your feelings. Just because you do something a certain way does not mean it is the right way. If you are ok with giving bad advice, please feel free to continue.

High pressure spray will clean oil off just fine. Detergents will eat seals, especiall when they are left to dry on them.