Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance for tie rod end parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

good idea to get the tie rods under your belt before tackling the galvanized frame off restoration mod project....

Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I have not had any issues with DAP so I dont understand what the fuss is about. Grant some of their parts are expensive but their still good people who love what they do. Im surprised they managed to stay open as long as they have considering the economy and the small LR community in this area. I actually had a conversation with them today about how they are doing business wise and they did say it was slowing down for awhile but that business has slowly been going back up with restoration work being their primary work. I go there because they are the only known independent Rover shop in the area (45 minutes away) and I trust their expertise over any other typical mechanic garage any day. I would not trust my Disco in the hands of a typical domestic car mechanic. They dont know the ins and outs of our rovers.

Ill make some calls tomorrow (Atlantic British, Rovers North DAP) and see where the best deal is on parts and try to figure out what parts I will need. If DAP has a good deal then I will buy there parts. But for now I just need to know exactly which parts I need. Do I need to replace the entire rod that connects to both ends of the vehicle? is there any hardware (nuts/bolts/clamps) I need to replace? etc
Don't go for the best deal, go for the best parts. If you buy cheap, like from China, that is what you will get.
If your tie rod is shot you may want to inspect and replace the tie rod ends on the drag link also.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could perhaps also get a quote on parts and then see if DAP would match the price since you'd be paying them for labor.

side note - i grew up in a town right next to springfield where DAP is located, i hope someone does wind up buying it and keeping it going. i always loved seeing the old rovers there when i was a kid...

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I've been dealing with Al since '80, never had any issues.
The slow down has a lot to do with one person who used to work there and was, unfortunately, on several forums. He's been gone a while.
It's for sale because Al is just ready to retire and do some traveling. He's in his 70's now I believe.
I really miss VT and if I had the cash reserves I'd be talking to him.
I know..did you not read my 2nd post? I have nothing against DAP, I also know it was the fault of that one guy, can't recall his name now.

I just know that it wasn't worth what he was asking.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
Any shade tree mechanic with a solid axle Ford pickup could change out the TRE's on the Rover. Pull the pin, unscrew the nut, pull it out of the knuckle, and twist it off. The only hitch is the rust that seizes them on. Lather the threads with antisieze to prevent that next time. Don't pay for an alignment following the new ends either. Just center the wheel, set the toe with a measure tape (a 16th of an inch wider between the front of the rims vs the rear of the rims), and go.
This is very true. With a solid axle setup and an old-school steering box, tie-rod work doesn't get much easier. You only need some wrenches and a seperator (which you can "rent" for free from any chain parts store) and that's it. If you could handle a u-joint replacement, then you can handle this.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
This is very true. With a solid axle setup and an old-school steering box, tie-rod work doesn't get much easier. You only need some wrenches and a seperator (which you can "rent" for free from any chain parts store) and that's it. If you could handle a u-joint replacement, then you can handle this.
I never used a separator (on the rover or any pickup I ever changed) but mine are never rusted to the knuckles. They just come out. At most I tapped them with a mallet. But for sure, the chain store can help you. The TRE's will probably be All-Makes from anyone who stocks them, unless you buy Genuine.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did this last year and its very simple. You do have to buy the the whole rod because one end is fixed to the rod. I bought mine from AB I believe it was under $200.00.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike is right about the drag link, I replaced mine when I did the Tie rod.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I know..did you not read my 2nd post? I have nothing against DAP, I also know it was the fault of that one guy, can't recall his name now.
Yeah, I did. I was just stating the real reason for its sale.
As for the asking price, I never asked Al what it was, but there's a lot more than just parts inventory to consider. Though I've never been to the VT location, he moved there after I left VT. I went to the Wareham place a number of times though. That's where I bought my Air Portable.
He approached me in '82 about running a west coast branch for him, I guess I should have taken him up on it.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance for tie rod end parts