Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Switch or BCU / ECU reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 11:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Did you clean/adjust the XYZ yet?
Thanks to the holiday break, I finally got the chance to work on the disco. Took the XYZ switch off and opened it up for inspection/cleaning. Found the two contact pins on the left side of the rotary to be completely black and flattened (not sticking up like the rest). The plan was to try to clean the two pins, and try to raise them up some to improve the contact. However, as soon as I carefully touched it, the pins just broke off. I guess the pins have been damaged all along, and it was just barely attached. I’m not sure what the green and tan wires control, but perhaps this is why I’m having intermittent starting issue? Before I commit to replacing the entire switch (quite pricey), I was wondering if anyone here has a spare that I can buy so I can pull the two contact pins that I need to see if that will fix my problem. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

That stinks.

There were two versions of the DII XYZ switch. This is the second version (black cover, vs. ivory for the earlier version), which makes sense since your sig line says your truck is an '04. I've had both in my truck, and I've had both versions fail.

Brand new XYZ switches are stupid-expensive. Used ones can be found on eBay, but for a used one I recommend contacting Will Tillery, who while not so active here in recent years has a stellar reputation on this and other Rover forums. There used to be a couple well-regarded dismantlers here (abran and Paul Grant), but I think they are no longer active. Contact ? Land Rover New and Used Parts and Accessories

Old 01-06-2024, 10:59 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mln01
That stinks.

There were two versions of the DII XYZ switch. This is the second version (black cover, vs. ivory for the earlier version), which makes sense since your sig line says your truck is an '04. I've had both in my truck, and I've had both versions fail.

Brand new XYZ switches are stupid-expensive. Used ones can be found on eBay, but for a used one I recommend contacting Will Tillery, who while not so active here in recent years has a stellar reputation on this and other Rover forums. There used to be a couple well-regarded dismantlers here (abran and Paul Grant), but I think they are no longer active. Contact ? Land Rover New and Used Parts and Accessories
Does stinks, but very hopefull that this issue fixes my intermittent starting problem. Got an xyz switch and serviceable front drive shaft from Will, and will install as soon as we get some decent weather (rainy waether and the truck is on the driveway). Thanks for the advice and will update this thread when the service is done.

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2024, 03:07 PM
4wd Low

As Borat would say - Great Success!
Sun finally came out today so got some wrench time. Happy to report that the XYZ switch replacement fixed my intermittent starting issue, and everything is working great now. Many thanks to all who responded to this thread - I appreciate everyone’s advice.
CHEERS!