Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2000 Disco SII Owner Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2000 Disco SII Owner Needs Help

I purchased a 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II (E-Bay) and I am having two problems that I need some help on!

1). I have found what the manual explains as the cruise control button. I press it, the orange light turns on, i then push the "set" tab on the steering column and nothing happens! What could be the problem? Has anyone experienced this before?

2). The air conditioning blows hot. I went to the local parts store and picked up a recharge system. I hooked it up to the line per the directions on the recharges system, and the pressure gauge is showing in the 100 red zone! Is there a chance that I am not hooking it up right? What is the harm in putting the coolant in there any way?

3). My previous vehicle was a 1984 Ford Bronco, so this Disco is a dream to drive but also intimindating to work on, what do you recomend as far as troubleshooting guides (eg. Chilton, Haynes) or repair manuals?

Thanks.

Patrick
(Towanda, Kansas)

Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Drifting
Default RE: New 2000 Disco SII Owner Needs Help

CPDieker,

I may be able to help you on the first qustion. I know when I bought my 01 Disco II used there was nobody to show me. I was pushing down on the curize botton and if I recall you acutally need lift up from the back side towards you to engage the cruize. Its second nature now, but I do remember my first time trying to get it and then I relized I was pushing down instead of pulling up.

As for the second question, when you are charging do you notice any leaks? I've never done this so I really don't know.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Nvd
7th Gear

As far as the A/C goes Check the Compressor. Does the Clutch work properly?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Without having a real set of guages, it is going to be hard to determine what is wrong with your A/C and if you don't have the experience to test it, I would suggest you take it to a shop and have them check it.
Mike

Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CPDieker

3). My previous vehicle was a 1984 Ford Bronco, so this Disco is a dream to drive but also intimindating to work on, what do you recomend as far as troubleshooting guides (eg. Chilton, Haynes) or repair manuals?

Thanks.

Patrick
(Towanda, Kansas)
Patrick, Welcome! This is the manual I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083...lance&n=283155

It's a bit jump-aroundy in its layout, but it's got all the info you should need.
hth,
Bill

Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling

My Disco is a little bit older than yours ('96), but I had a similar problem with my cruise control. The problem was the vacuum lines leaking. On mine, and I'm not sure if your D2 is the same, but there are 3 vacuum lines - one goes forward to a reservoir right under the jack in the front left, one goes to a diaphragm on the throttle, and one goes through the firewall to a spigot behind the brake pedal. They all meet at a tee near the brake diaphragm (near master cylinder). Check the tee fitting. Mine were cracked there. It's cheap hose. Taking the jack out will get you to the front one. The hard one is the one that goes through the fire wall. I was able to snip that one and keep the old one. Works fine now.
Good Luck