Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco II owner needing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Disco II owner needing help

So i am still a new Disco II owner. What i have is a 2001 Disco II. I have been working out the kinks since i bought this thing a couple months ago. Thinking maybe you guys on here can help me out with a few minor things that i still cant figure out. First, my fuel tank door keeps popping open whenever I get in and shut a door, any door for that matter, i think it is from the vibration of the door closing that triggers the fuel door to open. It also opens on its own when driving. I have tried cleaning the locking mechnism and the door itself but it is still opening on its own. Second, my Radio wont read from the CD changer. It is all connected correctly but it says there is NO DISC when it tries to read them. I filled the CD changer with discs, even put one in upside down thinking maybe i was loading it wrong. Maybe the changer is just worn out? The last thing i am having problems with right now is the engine temp. It is good for a few days then it will start getting hot. I check the fluid level and it is low so i fill it back up but again a few days later it is low again. I have parked on a dry area looking to see if anything is leaking but nothing. I think maybe its the cap on the resivor but dont know. How many o-rings or gaskets are supposed to be on the cap? there are two on mine. Any help would be appriciated. thanks.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel door
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/BPX700010G.cfm

dont know about the cd changer.

is your CEL coming on? you need to find the leak. if you can't then have it pressure tested to find the leak. did you check your oil?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
Default CD Changer

The CD changer is very finicky. NO CD can mean that one disc holder is stuck. Get a flashlight and watch it cycle thru the discs, see if one sticks. If they do, you can pull all of the individual holders out and the put them back in. I have had to do this a couple of times. Failing that, BA sells them: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LRN50510G.cfm

Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my CEL is already on beacuse i need new 02 sensors. just havent changed them out yet casue the average about $66 a pop.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

What method are you using to determine if the engine is getting hot? Hopefully you're using an obd2 scanner that can read real time data like the ultragauge to monitor engine temps as once the gauge moves from the center position your engine temps are above 230.

i blew a cooling hose about 2 years ago and about 75% of my coolant. Gauge didn't move. If I didn't have a realtime scanner hooked up I would have cooked the engine.

the forum search on here is awesome and should be used heavily. Your number one problem right now is your cooling system, then investigate whether your front driveshaft was ever replaced. Once you're all caught up on maintenance you'll have some cycles to dig into some of the weird electrical glitches you have going on.

Last edited by Robert Booth; 01-02-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Booth said it: the temp gauge is not your friend, there are many options from cheap that you can Bluetooth to your smartphone, up to a little more expensive and also allows you to read codes associated with "check engine" lamp or just a simple, dedicated coolant temp sender and dash gauge. There is also a posting at top of the D-2 forum by DiscoMike that deals with high mileage maintenance and updates for new-to-you trucks and should be adhered to as your truck will never be reliable until you address everything in that thread and then some, including a low-temp thermostat and new radiator before you fry your engine. Those high temps and loss of coolant is a pretty big deal in the world of Discos, sorry to tell you. As I said in a conversation with another enthusiast friend of mine today, "it ain't my dads Chevy."

Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to the club of broke folks that love their rides. If you aren't mechanically inclined, you will be before it's all said and done. Everybody is here to help. Make sure you download a copy of the rave manual if you haven't already. Great to have and you can put it on your smart phone, tablet, etc. I didn't catch how many miles you had on your truck. As for the coolant, check your oil to make sure it isn't milky and if you can, rent a pressure tester from your local auto parts store and check it out that way. The driveshaft issue needed to be addressed asap if you still have the factory non serviceable one. You can order one from different vendors and most people will reccome d people like lucky8llc and Atlantic British, British parts of Utah, eBay, amazon, etc but make sure you ask question on eBay and verify if it's used or new and whatnot. There is a classified section here where you can post what you are looking to buy and so forth. I'm on my mobile version so I didn't catch where you are located. But welcome to the club and feel free to ask away man

Old 01-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fuel door was doing the same thing so I opened it and twisted the piece that the pin locks into a little bit and haven't had a problem since

Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jalodge
My fuel door was doing the same thing so I opened it and twisted the piece that the pin locks into a little bit and haven't had a problem since
I pulled the tab on the door closer to the pin on the body and that fixed it.