Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Drive Shaft Contemplation

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Drive Shaft Contemplation

I just "discovered" that both front drive shafts on my two D2s are running dry and un-lubed.

I'm trying to decide whether to fork over the cash for these: http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

..or to just have mine rebuilt.

Can anyone offer any advice? If it were just one drive shaft, it would be a no brainer.. $350 to fix my problem.

But, to do it for both would be $700, and that's another thousand rounds of .308, or almost a freaking AR15.

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thanks guys,

Pat

Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Diy!

Get six u-joints, 2 centering ball kits, "rent" a slide hammer kit and u-joint tool from Autozone or similar, buy a snap ring plier set and cut and paste this link in a new window.

http://static.scribd.com/docs/tkatf9...IAL_VIEW=width

Total cost for both will be less than $200.00!

I did mine for about $75.00 but I already had the pliers. Do a search here for u-joints and you will find a plethora of great information including part numbers and cross reference numbers to tell the parts counter guy when they tell you that they don't carry anything.
The u-joints I used were the Neapco 1-0005. The same as in a 1993 Volvo 240.
The centering ball kit is a Precision 617.

Use the extra $500 to buy a decent reloading press, dies, primers, some powder, brass and boat tails and you will still be able to put 1000 rounds through your .308!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling

I used PDQ u-joints from autozone because they have the grease zerks in an end cap instead of the cross. Much easier to grease the double cardon.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you are at all mechanical, and want to save some money, I'll send you a PDF with all the instructions and pictures.
Replace all 4 u-joints and check and replace your roto flex replacing them if they are showing cracks.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Mudding

hey mike i have a 95 disco with a 2.5 " lift and want to replace the rotoflex with u joint and might as well do the front shaft as well since ive seen so many horror stories. im pretty mechanicly inclined im not looking to spend to much $$$ would it be wise to do the rear shaft conversion my self and just buy a new front shaft from tom wood? any knowledge would be great

Old 04-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

D1's have no drive shaft issues except being a little week. Do you lube the u-joints 2 times a year?
Why do you want to convert to a rear u-joint, didn't your rotoflex treat you well?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Mudding

i have heard the front shaft likes to break on lifted discos and smash a hole in the side of the transmission. plus i have some 32" swampers and see alot of trail time, at least 3 times a week, last thing i want is to have to replace the trans. the roto-flex seems like a great idea for normal use but i hardly see much normal use. need to replace the coupling anyways due to cracking, figured i might as well beef it up now. idk im just trying to be proactive with replacing weaknesses. it just dosnt seem right having a peice of rubber connecting my drivetrain

Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty mechanical, Mike... I mean, I don't know how one rates himself, but I do brakes and plugs and wires and stuff. My biggest job so far was removing and replacing a 700r4 transmission in a 1992 GMC, but it took me two weeks and a lot of reading to do it. And, I sort of messed up the way the dipstick went in... but I didn't leak, and it worked fine afterwards..

ANWAY-

Please do send me the pdf! You should have my email address, but please let me know if you need it.

Thanks, Mike. I might just try it myself... I just don't want to mess it up.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrudy
i have heard the front shaft likes to break on lifted discos and smash a hole in the side of the transmission. plus i have some 32" swampers and see alot of trail time, at least 3 times a week, last thing i want is to have to replace the trans. the roto-flex seems like a great idea for normal use but i hardly see much normal use. need to replace the coupling anyways due to cracking, figured i might as well beef it up now. idk im just trying to be proactive with replacing weaknesses. it just dosnt seem right having a peice of rubber connecting my drivetrain
The roto-flex is good for up to 3" of lift. Even under extreme off-road use they will last. At 3" your drive line angle gets too severe.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Mudding

allrighty i gues ill just buy a new rotoflex in case mine breaks..... im still worried about the front drive shaft though.....

Quick Reply: New Drive Shaft Contemplation