Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   New fan clutch doesn't seem to disengage (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/new-fan-clutch-doesnt-seem-disengage-80792/)

Racer X 09-02-2016 02:43 PM

New fan clutch doesn't seem to disengage

I just bought a replacement fan clutch for my DII from Lucky8, came in an AllMakes box.

At startup, there's a roar as one would expect from a viscous clutch (my old one never engaged past 20%.), however, it doesn't seem to spin down at all. After start up and drive off, there's never really a cessation to the roaring of the fan, even after several minutes of driving around, and I can feel a driveline vibration above 3.2k RPM when I'm underway or at rest, including on the highway.

I'm concerned about over-spinning the fan during an overtake, and it going kablooey on me (which would really, really ruin my day), never mind the drop in fuel mileage I'm seeing.

Anyone have any experience here with an AllMakes fan?

mdyates1985 09-02-2016 03:23 PM

Take it off and switch back. I had same issue I thought would "break in" and it exploded on me taking out hood, radiator, every hose, and plastic piece under hood...

Racer X 09-02-2016 04:16 PM

Well, ****.

I can't switch back, unless I want to run around at 225º

shanechevelle 09-02-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 578706)
Well, ****.

I can't switch back, unless I want to run around at 225º

Bleed it better.

Racer X 09-02-2016 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by shanechevelle (Post 578710)
Bleed it better.

Bleeding wasn't the problem. A fan clutch that wouldn't couple beyond 20% with temps in the mid to upper 90's was.

number9 09-02-2016 09:46 PM

Hayden 2991 seem to work well for most folks and should be available locally.

Fast951 09-03-2016 06:51 AM

I had issues with a replacement fan clutch I bought online which was made in Germany. There may be quality problems with some of these, not sure, but it did the same thing - never disengaged even at highway speeds where it's not needed. Went back to a used OEM fan with the non-replaceable clutch (think they were used '03 and '04) and everything is fine once again.

Racer X 09-03-2016 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 578731)
Hayden 2991 seem to work well for most folks and should be available locally.

Went this route, except I went with the AutoZone part, which was a re-boxed TorqFlo. 100% better.

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

Racer X 09-05-2016 02:21 PM

And to add insult to injury, that high RPM vibration was the fan overspinning.

Good news, the fan didn't explode. :bow:
Bad news, the waterpump bearings are toast, and are now leaking. :poop:

The best laid plans...

WNYErikDiscoII 09-05-2016 09:08 PM

Bad fan

I apologize for the issues related to the defective part. I will gladly accept it back for a full refund and I would like to offer you a free new replacement water pump as a way of saying we are sorry. Please email me and we can finalize the details.

Thanks,
Erik

Erik@LK8parts.com