Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum. Just bought a 04 Disco.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum. Just bought a 04 Disco.

Hi everyone,

Just bought my first Disco. Been searching a couple months for a good one and finally found one on Craigslist. Its a 2004 HSE with approx 65k miles. It seems to have most of the bells and whistles except heated seats and windshield. So far I love it. I have a couple friends with Discos and they prewarned me its not a Toyota that it needs love and care but its an awesome car. As part of my pre-purchase I took it to a Land Rover mechanic Huntington Service Center in San Marino. They apparently have a very good reputation and i wanted them to give it a clean bill of health. I had already brought them two that they rejected and told me not to buy. Well this one passed. Wow sorry this is a long post.

Well to the point...I would love your recommendations of what to change fix, repair now to avoid any issues in the future. Its bone stock right now. They did a full inspection and said no head gasket leaks etc. In reading through some of the posts here I read about some upgrades but don't fully know what i should and shouldn't do. Are there some fundamental things i need to change or upgrade now to help prevent future problems. Like..."this always goes out so get it new asap or change it to aftermarket because its so much more reliable."

My goal is to kit it out to be very off road capable but still functional as a around town driver. So I will buy a second set of wheels and tires with better tread...maybe some 16 steel wheels. I also plan to do a roof rack and lights. Eventually a new bumper... ARB?

I am thinking for now of keeping the stock airbag suspensions. I like the auto leveling suspension and that you can manually raise it 1.5 inches. I figure when it goes I will then replace it with a 2" lift OME. Is that foolish of me? Should i just change it out now?

I love that the 04 has a center diff lock..one of the reasons i purchased this rather than an 03. Does it make sense to do an additional rear locker or is this for more hardcore off roaders.

I look forward to being a real member of this forum...and plan to post lost of photos of my upgrades...successes and failures in the future.

Name:  2013-03-11190332_zps7425e6b6.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  90.4 KB
All purdy and clean. Black on black..oh my its gonna be hard to keep it looking like this.

Name:  2013-03-09160510_zps9c5bd831.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  95.5 KB

First semi-off-road...got stuck and got out again (good job disco with diff lock)... no more city tires for off-roading.

Name:  2013-03-09140225_zps7e8fe30f.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  68.6 KB
The Dogo loves it too...ordering a set of rubber mats including the rear one. Also got a dog guard off craigslist $50 bucks. Just waiting on the OEM mounting brackets.

Name:  04LRDiscoveryII_zpsb9a3d124.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  66.1 KB
How I hope the my rover will look in the future. Dont know who owns this one but good job....Love the look and the upgrades.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Good job.

Now, go get the oil changed!
Do NOT put in synthetic.

Use Rotella. Oil of manly men.

Use a Wix oil filter, not some junk Fram.

Put a plastic dish in the rear cubby for the dogo.
And put a dog blanket over the back seat or it will be clawed up.
and dogo needs a water jug in the back too.

Maybe change your radiator coolant all out and inspect coolant hoses for cracks.

Check coolant level.

Put a code scanner onto the OBD II and measure the temperature of the engine - make sure it stays below 210 Degrees F.

Looks like a nice rig.

Don't leave it parked in the sun.
Paint will fade and headliner will drop

Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the tips. Jfall!!

Originally Posted by jfall
Use Rotella. Oil of manly men.
What do you recommend the weight should be. I live in California...rarely see any real cold weather.

Maybe change your radiator coolant all out and inspect coolant hoses for cracks.
Is there a preferred brand coolant to refill it with?

Put a code scanner onto the OBD II and measure the temperature of the engine - make sure it stays below 210 Degrees F.
Just bought a Ultraguage!!

Don't leave it parked in the sun.
Paint will fade and headliner will drop
Headliner is just starting to drop. Plan on replacing it and doing the wheel fender repaint via a post here on the forum.

Thanks again for the tips. Franklin the Dogo appreciates you looking out for him. He is good about not scratching stuff up but I'm still getting the rubber trunk mat and installing the dog guard.

-Seth

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seat heaters probably there. For about $45 switches and bezel can be installed easily. At least in my 99 that was all that I needed. Dealer wanted 1500. That was the last time I went there.
Take the switch panel off you s should see a couple of plugs not being used. Check under the seat also they may be unplugged. ?? I cant remember if they have separate plugs . Good luck With you new rig Looks nice

Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Oil - 15W - 50W for Cali.

I put Prestone OAT in mine - Silver bottle orange antifreeze.
Just like it says on the collar on the coolant tank.

But, the OAT supposedly goes to jello eventually so people drain it all out
and put in green antifreeze.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Mudding

Nice rig. When I buy a car with a timing belt I always put on a new belt and water pump so I know the age and mileage. When I buy a Rover I change all the fluids install a new thermostat and have the radiator cleaned. Speaking of water pumps, check the outer shaft bearing by grabbing the fan and moving it up and down. If you feel any free play, change the pump before it gets the fan and radiator. Its just piece of mind for me. Good Luck

Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by slabrat
Seat heaters probably there. For about $45 switches and bezel can be installed easily. At least in my 99 that was all that I needed. Dealer wanted 1500. That was the last time I went there.
Take the switch panel off you s should see a couple of plugs not being used. Check under the seat also they may be unplugged. ?? I cant remember if they have separate plugs . Good luck With you new rig Looks nice
I just bought the switches on eBay. Excited to try out. Thanks for the tip. I also checked as saw i have all the wiring for the heated front windshield. Also bought that switch. Will have to wait till i get a chip or two in my current one before i replace with a heated version.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Pik
Three Wheeling

I think you will need a trip to the dealer to get the heated windshield to work. (Once the switch us installed).
No programming needed for the seat heaters, but don't be surprised if the drivers heating element does not work. The driver getting in and out over time can easily damage the element on the left side of the seat.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your windshield have the tiny wires running vertically inside the glass? Cant see that windshield being installed without the option. It's a rather pricey part for them to use and not charge for it as an option.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Hope you enjoy your new truck. You might want to read my sticky thread at the top of this section on major services and consider doing it all, especially the inspection and replacement of the front drive shaft if there are not grease fittings on each of the front 3 u-joints.

Quick Reply: New to forum. Just bought a 04 Disco.