Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me Disco with some questions (videos attached)

Old 10-31-2018, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Maybe the valve is there to block air from getting into the heater core when bleeding the system or something

Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Maybe the valve is there to block air from getting into the heater core when bleeding the system or something

Or maybe it’s one of Roverguy’s mods..... Sorry I just had to do it lol.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that exact same ABS sensor plug just sitting there. No amigos here (knock on wood) so the rig must have been modified at one point to have a direct connection, at least for that particular sensor?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Great suggestions! Thank you.

Im going to try to trace wires this weekend to see what’s the deal with the abs sensor.

I have no heat eat by the way. Thought it was a clogged heater core but now I’m thinking otherwise.

I had had purchased everything to flush the system and was going to do that to see if it fixed the problem.

I honestly have no clue if that valve is open or closed. It seems very hard to turn. I think it will back out fairly easy but I’d need to release the pressure in the system or risk a geyser of coolant.

So moving forward...

1) does the valve look open or closed?

2) which hose is it on? Supply or return?

3) if the heater core is faulty, easy fix for a diy?

Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah that looks like the PO bypassed the heater core. Replacing that is a big job but I managed to DIY a few years back. Not as intimidating as it may seem. You may want to remove the heater hoses off the back and run your garden hose through it to confirm leakage. There are a few threads on replacing it and I myself have added plenty of commentary to aid in replacing this part.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 245 Likes on 197 Posts

wouldn't the heater core still have coolant sitting in it since the exit hose is still attached to the main coolant system? what am i missing here?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
wouldn't the heater core still have coolant sitting in it since the exit hose is still attached to the main coolant system? what am i missing here?
Not only would it have coolant in it but it would be under pressure with the engine running because it is on the return line, so I doubt you have a leaking heater core because it would be leaking now. It most probably was just installed to reduce the heat in the cabin. You can try to open it or replace it or swap in a splice bushing/fitting.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't be scared, grab a hold of the tee fitting and back it out counter clockwise. You can check for heat in the hose by grabbing it when the motor is warm, if it's really hot on both sides of that valve, then it's on. Right now I bet one side is cool and the other is hot. So what if your heater core leaks, you got to fix something to get a heater don't ya??? lol Oh, welcome to the forum!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct

The heater valve could have been placed there to prevent the leakage as Richard said, although I kind of doubt it because just one valve would prevent circulation but not leakage due to pressure. The PO probably put it there to prevent circulation to improve the AC efficiency, are you in a hot climate? I have considered doing a similar thing on my Rover to prevent hot coolant in the passenger compartment in the summer (you kind of have to live in the very hot south to understand). I wound up short circuiting my heater hoses during the some one year. I kind of like it actually, I would leave it if it is not causing problems, although you should do the test Richard suggested.
This!!

I HAVE HEAT!!

So I googled the heater valve and found that it is common on square body chevy trucks. Even has an AC Delco part number. Based on the pictures and diagrams I saw, I decided to back the threads out and low and behold it was shut and not open. Left the heater running for a few mins and no leaks. Tons of heat though. I'm going to leave the valve on for summer.

So I'm still going to be tracing wires for the ABS sensors this weekend. I'll keep you all updated.

I also had my AB front bumper delivered yesterday. Kids loved the huge box. lol

Thanks!