Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner ..... Screwed the pooch on this one lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Here's the immediate list

With truck not running there is between an eighth and a quarter of a turn of play in the steering wheel. Surprisingly not as noticable when driving as it tracks straight.

Heavy wobble at 45mph will shake the steering wheel pretty bad.

I have the vibration at 75ish mph that there have been some threads about but never saw a resolution. Feels like driving over the grooved pavement on the side of the road. Does it in all gears and neutral.

Ac is weak. The air feels cold but the volume of air seems less than most cars but each speed seems to work.

Couple bad lock actuators

Sunroof leaks no surprise
Checked codes and 1509 rough road is set but no amigos yet.

Knicks and small dings everywhere but now I don't have to wory about scratching it.

The one that really bummed me out is there was a small dent below the tail light. Looks like someone pulled the panel off and hammered it out. It's not the whole quarter panel just the section around the tail light. It no longer buts up against the other panel properly. Bodywork was the one thing I wanted to avoid and somehow I missed this.
Hasn't dripped any fluids hut does smell like an old tractor

The good
Clean frame, fresh motor new cats and did pass emissions. Oil looks clean and fresh. Have put 500 miles on it and temp stays good and coolant level hasn't changed.

Sounds like mine minus the wobble...
Make sure tires are good....get tires balanced first
Check front driveshaft....
As far as play in steering...front drag link /track bar combo cheap....just need to align after..

I literally have a small dent below my right tail light...It was there when I bought it 5+ years ago and I missed it as well...

Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

For the play in the steering wheel, adjust the steering box. BUT BE JUDICIOUS in the amount of adjustment.

Have you downloaded the RAVE manual yet? Download it, live it, learn it, love it, know it.

The rest everyone sorted out. Next will be how much of an investment in tools and time you will want to make. It took me around a year to learn them pretty well and my latest one a few months to get verything fixed.

Oh yeah, I dunno if anyone mentioned, but check the front driveshaft on that vibration too.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Here's the immediate list

With truck not running there is between an eighth and a quarter of a turn of play in the steering wheel. Surprisingly not as noticable when driving as it tracks straight.

Heavy wobble at 45mph will shake the steering wheel pretty bad.

I have the vibration at 75ish mph that there have been some threads about but never saw a resolution. Feels like driving over the grooved pavement on the side of the road. Does it in all gears and neutral.

The good
Clean frame, fresh motor new cats and did pass emissions. Oil looks clean and fresh. Have put 500 miles on it and temp stays good and coolant level hasn't changed.

The good sounds really good. The stuff in the middle can be remedied easily, later. The stuff that I quoted above should get checked out by a pro first and then you will be good to go.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Did you do any type of pre trip inspection, before driving it the 500 miles. Don't really understand what you are upset about...since, it is...well...a 14 year old vehicle. You need to get under neath this thing and check it out...or pay someone that knows their stuff. Especially, if you don't know the condition of the front driveshaft and steering components. You are only asking for trouble...or worse...if you keep driving it unattended.

Good luck...and where are those pictures you promised us? We have been known ot go all ape **** crazy...being promised something like this...and then not getting it...lol

But seriously...just relax and check out your rover thoroughly. You have a wealth of knowledge here to help you.

Welcome to the fold.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Pics as promised

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Winching

Bodywork issue. Can the panel with the tail light be replaced without pulling the entire quarter panel up to the rear door?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Winching

2 things under the hood concern me. What is this vacuum line for? Goes behind the brake booster.

Unhooked vacuum line

Second pic.. what should these 2 ports be connected to?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Front Axle vent tube by the Brake Booster & some smart person bypassed your throttle body heater plate aka a leaking POS with 3 screws in it vs 4...

That body work would be minor to repair at a shop no need for a new panel. Get the tires rotated/balanced, replace front drive shaft or at least inspect it to see if all the u joints can be greased via zerk fittings.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:39 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

To be a little clearer -- that's not an unhooked vacuum line. It's a vent tube. It's supposed to be open. You'll find a number of them all over the vehicle.
And the two unconnected ports were originally connected to the cooling system. That's the infamous throttle body heater. Someone has bypassed it since it has a tendency to leak.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't believe you have screwed the pooch here. You bought a 14 year old vehicle, and a good base is a good buy. If the engine was done well, the Tranny is operating well, and it's rust freeish, I think you've done well.

Just make a list, prioritize, and enjoy the vehicle.

Quick Reply: New owner ..... Screwed the pooch on this one lol