Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   New owner ..... Screwed the pooch on this one lol (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/new-owner-screwed-pooch-one-lol-90723/)

Ben Matheson 08-04-2018 07:49 PM

New owner ..... Screwed the pooch on this one lol

So I picked up an 04 Disco SE7. Most of the transaction was done by phone and email. Motor was completely rebuilt 3000 miles ago and the block pressure tested. With that box checked and no rust on the frame I got over confident. Once i finally got the car there is a laundry list of stuff to fix. To a veteran disco owner they may seem minor. IlI' make a list in the morning and see what everyone thinks. Sadly based on the new motor I grossly over paid for the truck so I'll have to make a decision to clean her up or just bail and take my loss. Shame really I dig this disco just blew it on this transaction.

Best4x4 08-04-2018 08:06 PM

Is it just cosmetic stuff? 3 Amigos Brake wise = is nothing really if repaired/diagnosed properly, window motors/regulators are easy, brakes are easy, and pretty much anything on a D2 is pretty simple.

Just post what you've got and we'll be glad to help. It can't be as bad as my brothers Volvo XC90 purchase a few days ago that he had to do a Clark Grizwold on em and demand they get his old car out back out because the Volvo was a complete POS.

ArmyRover 08-04-2018 08:26 PM

Like Best said lets see what you have going on before you get to worried about it.

Bulax99 08-04-2018 09:28 PM

Don’t sweat it. You did your research and got what you wanted. These trucks are a labor of love. And they’re English, so everyone on this forum has a dry-erase board in their garage with a list of things that have to be fixed, addressed and improved.

This forum is a goldmine of information and members that love to help. Congrats on the purchase!

Ben Matheson 08-04-2018 10:12 PM

Thanks guys will post list and some pictures in the morning.

redwhitekat 08-05-2018 10:51 AM

It always makes me nervous when people sell cars with a new built engine
I mean I have a really hard time trusting any rebuilding job and rebuild means many different things to different people

Ben Matheson 08-05-2018 11:00 AM

Here's the immediate list

With truck not running there is between an eighth and a quarter of a turn of play in the steering wheel. Surprisingly not as noticable when driving as it tracks straight.

Heavy wobble at 45mph will shake the steering wheel pretty bad.

I have the vibration at 75ish mph that there have been some threads about but never saw a resolution. Feels like driving over the grooved pavement on the side of the road. Does it in all gears and neutral.

Ac is weak. The air feels cold but the volume of air seems less than most cars but each speed seems to work.

Couple bad lock actuators

Sunroof leaks no surprise
Checked codes and 1509 rough road is set but no amigos yet.

Knicks and small dings everywhere but now I don't have to wory about scratching it.

The one that really bummed me out is there was a small dent below the tail light. Looks like someone pulled the panel off and hammered it out. It's not the whole quarter panel just the section around the tail light. It no longer buts up against the other panel properly. Bodywork was the one thing I wanted to avoid and somehow I missed this.
Hasn't dripped any fluids hut does smell like an old tractor

The good
Clean frame, fresh motor new cats and did pass emissions. Oil looks clean and fresh. Have put 500 miles on it and temp stays good and coolant level hasn't changed.

wjsj69 08-05-2018 11:20 AM

Well, it's yours now. Whether you wanted or not, you're now a mechanic. If you didn't want to be, you shouldn't have gotten an old Rover. If you have a deep enough pocket to pay someone else to fix everythng your truck is going to need, you should've gotten something newer and more reliable or at least something already restored. How good of a wrench you are depends on your will and determination. Time to get busy. You'll be happy when you have a truck that has character and the pride that comes with keeping it in good nick. Most things you may need help with are already here and around the web to help you. Welcome to the sickness.

mollusc 08-05-2018 11:36 AM

The wobbles coupled with the rough road error make me think that you have bad ball joints and/or hubs and/or track/drag bars. The only one of those that's any real problem to deal with is the ball joints, and that is a total pig of a job.
Vibrations could be associated with the front axle issues noted above, or it could be driveshaft-related (BAD situation if a driveshaft seizes up and breaks) or possibly bearings in any number of places.
I wouldn't be driving it much with all of those issues.

mln01 08-05-2018 12:18 PM

Yeah, the steering play sounds like the drag link and track rod need to be replaced. It's a relatively easy DIY task and the parts are around $200, I recall. It could also be that the steering box needs to be adjusted. Do you have a copy of the RAVE workshop manual? You'll need it. There's a link to the PDF in my sig.

As for the 45 mph wobble and the 75 mph vibration, what's the condition of the tires, and have the wheels been balanced lately?