Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs, new wires, new coils & and still misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Back9sunday, it's matt3502 who's been advocating the Walker O2s instead of the Bosch. You can search his posts but he is reporting he's heard there are fewer problems with the Walkers vs. the Bosch. I have no experience with the Walkers but I know from experience it's not uncommon for the Bosch O2s to be bad out of the box. That's why I usually buy locally even though I could save a few bucks buying online - easier, faster returns.

I don't understand KingKoopa's comment about O2s that he "was under the impression that bosch was the way to go just not any from a parts store or Amazon because they sit around for years." O2 sensors are not perishable sitting on a shelf. Their performance does decay over time when in use, but not just sitting on a shelf. And in addition to that parts stores and especially Amazon manage inventory very, very carefully so the Bosch 15175s you buy either locally or on Amazon more than likely haven't been sitting on a shelf very long.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Back9sunday, it's matt3502 who's been advocating the Walker O2s instead of the Bosch. You can search his posts but he is reporting he's heard there are fewer problems with the Walkers vs. the Bosch. I have no experience with the Walkers but I know from experience it's not uncommon for the Bosch O2s to be bad out of the box. That's why I usually buy locally even though I could save a few bucks buying online - easier, faster returns.

I don't understand KingKoopa's comment about O2s that he "was under the impression that bosch was the way to go just not any from a parts store or Amazon because they sit around for years." O2 sensors are not perishable sitting on a shelf. Their performance does decay over time when in use, but not just sitting on a shelf. And in addition to that parts stores and especially Amazon manage inventory very, very carefully so the Bosch 15175s you buy either locally or on Amazon more than likely haven't been sitting on a shelf very long.
good info. I knew somebody would remember who was recommending them

Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Was your misfiring solved yet? Any newer codes?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be something as simple as a wire not firmly seated on the spark plug

in the last few days i had a misfire that i could definately feel but it did not throw a code till yesterday

I have a ultra cheap code reader (i have a new Foxwell on order) and it indicated a #6 cylinder issue and gave me a chance to see which one was misfiring

i pulled the wire off and presto there was black soot the evidence of arching and proof the wire was not seated fully on the plug

turned off the code light with the reader software and the misfire is gone

occams razor

John

Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No new codes. No codes at all actually, except for that pesky p0441, but thats the least of my concerns. So I installed new O2s all around in addition to new spark plugs, Mag wires, and coil packs, and I'm still getting a heavy misfiring sound under acceleration. The sound is apparent also when I have just started the truck after it has cooled.

After all those repairs and replacements, I'm thinking fuel injectors may be all fouled up. What do yall think?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Cannot disagree more with more with OLD SCHOOL about which O2 sensors to buy. I went thru 5 defective BOSCH sensors. I finally went with the walker ones which are what LR puts in. These are from walker. I have had no trouble since:
Land Rover Oxygen Sensor Replacement (Same Fit As Part # 250-24496)
His advice about dielectric grease is true, provided you do it properly. Dielectric grease does not go in the connection, it goes on the OUTSIDE of the male part of the connector to keep fluids out.
The big thing with doing the O2's is to make sure they really lock together. before yo put them back on the holding lug, really make sure you hear them click as they go together, and tug on to verify.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

o441 code is the purge valve
Many people buy this one on Amazon in lieu of the BOSCH:
Amazon Amazon
According to the AB website, theo original has been avail for a long time. They even reference the hyundai part no.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
No new codes. No codes at all actually, except for that pesky p0441, but thats the least of my concerns. So I installed new O2s all around in addition to new spark plugs, Mag wires, and coil packs, and I'm still getting a heavy misfiring sound under acceleration. The sound is apparent also when I have just started the truck after it has cooled.

After all those repairs and replacements, I'm thinking fuel injectors may be all fouled up. What do yall think?
How many miles since no codes? Let it cycle for a while like around 40 to 50 miles normal driving. At times let it idle and Rev it pass 27k-30k rpm for few sec. About the p0441 could be just a vacuum leak or one hose got loose when doing the plugs, check purge valve too.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
How many miles since no codes? Let it cycle for a while like around 40 to 50 miles normal driving. At times let it idle and Rev it pass 27k-30k rpm for few sec. About the p0441 could be just a vacuum leak or one hose got loose when doing the plugs, check purge valve too.
when I did my head gasket job, I sent my injectors off to be replaced, one of them had 3 out of the 4 holes blocked and another had 2 out of the 4 holes blocked. Don't know if that helps any but I can tell a big difference. I also replaced the o2 sensors with walkers and even though they have only a 90 day warranty, so good so far with the new magnaflow y pipes. Getting the windshield repaired and when it's done I'll be tickled pink

Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
o441 code is the purge valve
Many people buy this one on Amazon in lieu of the BOSCH:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyund.../dp/B00BJMSM94
According to the AB website, theo original has been avail for a long time. They even reference the hyundai part no.
Any decent auto parts store will have the Dorman purge valve, part number 911-800, in stock. It's a straight swap for the OEM one for about twenty bucks and no waiting for shipping. Try a local independent store first before you try a chain store because it's probably cheaper.

Quick Reply: New plugs, new wires, new coils & and still misfiring