Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs, new wires, new coils & and still misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Any decent auto parts store will have the Dorman purge valve, part number 911-800, in stock. It's a straight swap for the OEM one for about twenty bucks and no waiting for shipping. Try a local independent store first before you try a chain store because it's probably cheaper.
or call Hyundai and get it from them. I'm. It sure if the orientation of it has anything to do with it but I know Friday night disco was having trouble with tricky dicky with one

Old 03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Any decent auto parts store will have the Dorman purge valve, part number 911-800, in stock. It's a straight swap for the OEM one for about twenty bucks and no waiting for shipping. Try a local independent store first before you try a chain store because it's probably cheaper.
x2 on the hyundai/Dorman purge valve. Been running one for about 2 years, no issues.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Clean your gas cap and spout with a scotch-brute pad, clear the codes and drive 30 miles and report back

Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Clean your gas cap and spout with a scotch-brute pad, clear the codes and drive 30 miles and report back
I'll definitely give that a try.

I did order the BOSCH sensors from Atlantic British and installed them, which I think was a sound install. Heard the click when the connectors were engaged and everything. Purge valve for sure, but my main focus is the misfiring, especially misfiring without throwing codes. When I first started having this misfiring problem, my codes were your expected p0305 (cyl 5), but along with that I got p0132, and p1319. I was led to believe that was an O2 sensor inactivity/voltage fault and so replaced all of them, along with new coils, plugs, and wires a week prior to that. Yet I'm still getting my misfires.

Last edited by back9sunday; 03-08-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
I'll definitely give that a try.

I did order the BOSCH sensors from Atlantic British and installed them, which I think was a sound install. Heard the click when the connectors were engaged and everything. Purge valve for sure, but my main focus is the misfiring, especially misfiring without throwing codes. When I first started having this misfiring problem, my codes were your expected p0305 (cyl 5), but along with that I got p0132, and p1319. I was led to believe that was an O2 sensor inactivity/voltage fault and so replaced all of them, along with new coils, plugs, and wires a week prior to that. Yet I'm still getting my misfires.
what kind of plugs and wires do you have?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I went through a lot of the same thing, changing the upstream O2s, the plugs, coils, and wires but still having misfires. Fixed it by changing the MAS air flow sensor (go for the Bosch one, not the cheap one which won't fix anything) and the purge valve. All misfires and codes have been gone for about 500 miles now, and I passed inspection yesterday.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Mudding

I went through a lot of the same thing, changing the upstream O2s, the plugs, coils, and wires but still having misfires. Fixed it by changing the MAS air flow sensor (go for the Bosch one, not the cheap one which won't fix anything) and the purge valve. All misfires and codes have been gone for about 500 miles now, and I passed inspection yesterday.
that is a novel idea. I have a spare sitting around tht I acquired at a parts lot, but I'm hesitant to throw that in. It looks to be in good condition.

and I replaced my plugs with NGK plugs and 8mm Magnecor wires.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 PM
Mudding

So switched out the MAF sensor, and the trucks performance has improved. I say improved in that it seems to be breathing better and pulling harder.

However the misfires codes are still present (p0300, p0302), rough idle and a fair amount of ticking at startup and under accel.

I've read up that spark plugs for our Disco2's should be gapped to 0.38 - 0.41" of gap? I don't believe I checked my plugs before I installed them. And a mis-gapped plug could be a cause for misfires. Also, the aforementioned vacuum leaks could be a possible cause.

I should have given some background to this post a while ago, so apologies for that:

The misfiring started after an outing where I dipped the front end up to the top of the wheel arches in cold river water. I noticed on the ride back to civilization that my engine had developed a misfire on Cyl 5 (hence the p0305 code, which has gone away (???)) So the engine was misfiring before the coil pack, plug, and plug wire replacement, as well as MAF & Purge valve. My plugs are NGK, wires Magnecor 8mm, and coil packs Bosch.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I would think that the new parts did you some good as the misfire is no longer on the cylinder that was originally giving you problems. That counts for something in the proper direction. As for the misfire on a different cylinder it could be anything from a bad connection of that lead on either end to a totally faulty wire. Most spark plugs are supposedly gapped correctly & not to be tampered with but I check them regardless & found 1 or 2 to be way off last time. Have you tried observing the engine idling in the dark? If you hear ticking sounds it may be possible to see an arc jumping in the dark. Check your spark plug, then swap it with its neighbor & switch 2 of the leads if you can get your hands back there; if code follows cylinder you found your problem. If not, rule it out & move on. Also see to it all 4 bolts are secured on the coil pack mounting bracket. It won't cost anything starting here. If you suspect a vac' leak, that is also free & easy, and you should investigate anyway. Hit the intake manifold with combustible spray or vapor; O-rings on the fuel injectors tend to harden & cause problems with vac leaks, the plastic pipes & fittings crack, gaskets get old & brittle. If the top end hasn't been refreshed there is no telling... and you can't trust replacement parts just because they are new in a box. I have been getting more & more defunct items that have needed to be replaced under warranty multiple times so it just adds to the dilemma especially when it comes down to sensors & electrical.

Last edited by chubbs878; 03-16-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
I would think that the new parts did you some good as the misfire is no longer on the cylinder that was originally giving you problems. That counts for something in the proper direction. As for the misfire on a different cylinder it could be anything from a bad connection of that lead on either end to a totally faulty wire. Most spark plugs are supposedly gapped correctly & not to be tampered with but I check them regardless & found 1 or 2 to be way off last time. Have you tried observing the engine idling in the dark? If you hear ticking sounds it may be possible to see an arc jumping in the dark. Check your spark plug, then swap it with its neighbor & switch 2 of the leads if you can get your hands back there; if code follows cylinder you found your problem. If not, rule it out & move on. Also see to it all 4 bolts are secured on the coil pack mounting bracket. It won't cost anything starting here. If you suspect a vac' leak, that is also free & easy, and you should investigate anyway. Hit the intake manifold with combustible spray or vapor; O-rings on the fuel injectors tend to harden & cause problems with vac leaks, the plastic pipes & fittings crack, gaskets get old & brittle. If the top end hasn't been refreshed there is no telling... and you can't trust replacement parts just because they are new in a box. I have been getting more & more defunct items that have needed to be replaced under warranty multiple times so it just adds to the dilemma especially when it comes down to sensors & electrical.
thanks for all the input! I'll try out switching soak plus today and possibly the wire connection on the pack. I wouldve given this a shot sooner but I'm been working as emergency crew at the Oroville Dam. And that is all consuming lol!

Quick Reply: New plugs, new wires, new coils & and still misfiring