Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs, new wires, new coils & and still misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
thanks for all the input! I'll try out switching soak plus today and possibly the wire connection on the pack. I wouldve given this a shot sooner but I'm been working as emergency crew at the Oroville Dam. And that is all consuming lol!
Soon as you said that I thought it must be CA. Things still haven't slowed down out there?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I switched out spark plugs cyl 2 (the cylinder throwing the code p0302) for cyl 3, and vice versa, and no codes were thrown. But I can still hear misfiring occurring. So I switched cyl 5 (the original misfiring cylinder) for cyl 2, and I still hear misfiring. In fact, I know this since there is soot dripping with water from the tailpipe. Those are unburnt hydrocarbons, right?

In addition to all these problems, I'm leaking coolant quite badly but I don't know where. All I know is that it isn't mixing with oil thank God. And I have oil leaks every where. Pretty sure when I bring it in to my indy shop it'll be a whole list of gasket jobs that need doing in addition to hoses and the misfires. Oh man. I thought I had a good thing goin with my disco but she is really kickin my a**.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Soon as you said that I thought it must be CA. Things still haven't slowed down out there?
the spillway has been turned back on for the time being but I suspect there will be more damage done to the hillside that has already been cut away. At the present time only about %5 of released spillway water is making out of the dedicated spillway, and the rest is making it down the hillside cut. There is alot of engineering to do here! Quite the problem.

but we do hydrographic mapping, so at least there are some pretty cool bathymetric maps to be made!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
the spillway has been turned back on for the time being but I suspect there will be more damage done to the hillside that has already been cut away. At the present time only about %5 of released spillway water is making out of the dedicated spillway, and the rest is making it down the hillside cut. There is alot of engineering to do here! Quite the problem.

but we do hydrographic mapping, so at least there are some pretty cool bathymetric maps to be made!
I went and read about the latest updates on the spillway. It's a handful; looks epic. Do you think the disco is going into the shop?? Garages charge a fortune to work on these trucks; I got r*p'd a couple of times and I was done with that. Unbelievable, really, what they try to get away with on replacement parts charges much less the $75-$100 per hour labor fee to start with. You would think they overhauled a Mercedes G-wagon looking at the bill for some everyday in & out repairs, I swear.

When all the business with the spillway is done you may want to consider cleaning the engine well & finding the source of the leaks, maybe a pressure & compression test just starting over with the basics. But if you have the extra cash to blow on it after all the overtime pay it's your call, just use somebody reputable that Abran or 1 of the other West Coast guys will vouch for. I think Abran can do it himself if he's in your area; that guy really knows D2s, espc' engine & mechanical.