Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem - Gas Line Leak 97 DI

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Problem - Gas Line Leak 97 DI

Genlemen,

Yesterday I was working on the starter removal, I had taken the front passeger tire off and was sitting in the wheel well area for better access.
I had moved the inner wheel sheet metal out of the way to better access that area back when I did the exhaust manifold gasket replacement.

In reaching in to loosen the starter mounting bolts, I had moved the two fuel feed and return lines out of their clamps and moved them slightly. I also replaced a portion of the tubing going to the charcoal cannister.

This morning as I approached the passengers side of the vehicle, I could see a growing new stain on the driveway by the front tire. I immediately determined it was gasoline. I got underneath and looked, gas was dripping steadily. I quickl;y read up on the fuel system, went down and attempted to depressurize the system like it says, could not find the correct relay. None with a blue base in the right footwell. Unplugged one I thought it might be, no help.

Gave up on the depressurization. Pulled Negative cable, and starting looking closer for the leak. I moved the lines slightly with the hood up and I saw a pinhole in one of the lines. It had corroded to the clamp. When I had moved it earlier, it began to spray unnoticed until this morning.

I started thinking well, I'll cut that section out, slip on a piece of hose for now and be finished. I went to the fuel filter and started to unbolt it. When I loosened the clamp holding the fuel filter, it also popped a pinhole leak from the body of the fuel filter.

I think I am going to rip out all the old plumbing and start fresh at the fuel tank. I don't want to use original factory stuff based on the ridiculous prices and goofy routing and mix of flex and rigid. I am going to explore using a better flex tubing or something all the way and possibly reroute, relocate as I see fit.

Any Inputs?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man oh man, glad its you and not me lol.

I have no input on this other than glad you did not blow yourself up.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Baja
Default Potential Fire Bomb

I am just glad it happened sitting in my driveway and not out in the wilderness or in traffic with someone smoking next to me.

A pressurized pinhole sprays a lot in a hurry!!!!!!!

Why did those damn british design such a funky system, didn't they ever hear of dissimilar metals and galvanic action. Every rigid line on these damn things corrode badly. The tramission cooler lines did the same thing about a year ago. Popped a pinhole thru corrosion right by a clamp.

You should see the clamp that was holding the fuel filter. I saved it to photograph.

The Pitifulness of British Engineering!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

put a piece of rubber around the replacement filter before clamping.

When you are routing new lines, Take care not to route it all in rigid. The body flexes and you don't want it rattling any holes. Also watch for places that it may be subject to damage if you use flex line.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is a nice little project.

Any decent auto parts sells tubing in lengths. (steel will probably outlast you)

A decent tubing bender is about $20

I'd use decent rubber hose in those difficult spots. (and double clamp it)

My old '92 nissan pathfinder used a 3/8" hose connected fuel filter (about 40psi running)

luck,greg

Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Baja

A couple of questions come to mind. What pressure does it run at? I was also thinking about running a slightly different routing to make it as simple as possible.

I ended up using a tubing cutter that I already had here and cutting out the sections that run along the frame. The section with the fuel filter in line I cut in the engine compartment, it was good going toward the fuel injection bank. The other one I cut the hose near the clamp under the hood and cut the tubing back in the rear wheel well area. Both pieces were severely corroded in the middle where they route on top of the frame. I think the rest of the rigid tubing is intact. I am thinking I could use a fuel line rated rubber or flexible line and route and clamp it along the upper side of the frame, not on top. Of course double clamping at the tubing junctions with good hose clamps. I need to take a closer look at the tubing going into the gas tank itself. Hopefully it is still solid.

I also am going to check with a local industrial hoses company if I replace more. They have an ad on this site for you to bring something in and they will fabricate a replacement while you wait. Thought I would check them out as well, R.L. Miller is their name. They a full line of industrial type hoses.

After seeing how badly corroded the lines were, I would advise anyone with a DI to take a look at theirs closely if they have not already. I don't know if DII is similar. My leak originated from me moving the lines slightly while working around the fuel pump.
I had also bent that inner fender out of my way when working on the exhaust manifold gaskets. So flexing that area resulted in a corrosion weakened piece of rigid tubing to spring a pinhole and spray gas constantly due to the pressurized fuel system. But the pinhole in the filter was really amazing. It may have been the original. It was so corroded I had to cut it out.

I happen to have a new fuel filter that was purchased for our 99 Explorer before we got rid of it. Anybody see any problem using it instead of buying a LR fuel filter for $20.00?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Baja

Update: Just got back from AutoZone with a 25 foot rool of steel tubing (olive drab coating), fittings and their double flare loaner tool ($35 deposit) $75 total.

I'll be fabbing up some replacements in a little while. Thanks to all for help.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice,

I wouldn't forsee problems running it all in rubber, except it's that much more vulnerable (to heat, too)

But I think steel is better, although maybe more time consuming.

Take your time, do a nice job, you'll be happy you did.

I would think any inline EFI filter would be ok, since most sytems run around 70 psi or less before regulator (ours below 40)

luck,greg

Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Baja

One thing I was unaware of until I went to AutoZone, PA state inspection would not pass it with all rubber according to the guy behind the counter.

He said a six inch substitution was all that was legal. I don't know, anway the rubber for fuel injection was like 4 bucks a foot!

So I'll be tubing it.