Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rock sliders are installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder
"I started with an 1/4 inch hole and worked my way up to 7/16 jumping every 3 or so size bits. I had to drill from both the outside and from the underside and I used an old right angle Milwaukee drill that is about 30 years old but still works great."

Mike, I haven't seen any yet that use the factory holes, not even the unit from RTE. I'd be a lot more likely to install if they used the factory holes, so if you know of a manufacturer that uses them please let me know.
Mine are drilled for all the factory holes, you can use all of them if you like, but 3 bolts in front door area and 1 or 2 in the rear is enough. Then I just re-used the trim plugs that hold the sill on to fill in the un-used holes. They also bolt to the chassis out riggers as well.

Im in the UK, so I doubt you would order a set from over here due to shipping, but someone over there must do a similar design??

Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I was referring to drilling into the vehicle, not the sliders. Panzer, can you send pics of yours?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Sliders do require drilling of the sill. If the truck is ever sold without the sliders, the stock sill cover will hide the holes.

Take Care,
-Nate

Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very happy with the sliders Nate provided for me. The were easy to install using only a hydraulic floor jack. I have an Milwaukee right angle 1/2 drill (almost an antique as it is all aluminum and must be 30 years old) that made drilling the new holes a cinch. I chose to drill the rear hole first and then moved to the front, that way the sill was in place for all the other holes. Unless you have a step up drill bit you need to start with a 1/4 or so and work your way up. I used some machine oil to keep the bit from dulling and overheating. When I was done I dropped the sill and cleaned the holes with some Brake cleaner solvent and then sprayed some black Rustoleum paint. Then I reinstalled the sills protectors. That being said, there is probably a low corrosion factor because the car's sill material is thick enough and with the sill guard in place and the bolts tightly fixed in place there is little room for water to accumulate. Unless you drive in salt water or heavily salted roads in winter I can't see why the car would rust in these holes anymore then elsewhere underneath. Nate puts a slightly textured coating on before the black paint so they are pretty much slip proof too.

I would also add that the sills act as a running board and even my short wife has not complained that it is any harder to get in then when we had the factory running boards.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Winching

Cool, I want a set, i still have the plastic sill cover.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Default rock sliders

Those are pretty sweet looking and the design I've been looking for. I might just have to inquire about these! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've a set on my truck as well, and can't say enough about the product or the level of service I received from Nate.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do these sliders stick out beyond the door panels?

i'm asking because I was on slick trails this weekend that posed potential for body damage because of small trees along the trail.

would these sliders protect the doors from trees? or just ground level obstacles?

if sliders wont protect from trees, are there any other solutions?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They stick out past the doors if you order them with the nerfs. They'll help things glide along the sides of your truck and will at the very least reduce damage.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by oysterhead
do these sliders stick out beyond the door panels?

i'm asking because I was on slick trails this weekend that posed potential for body damage because of small trees along the trail.

would these sliders protect the doors from trees? or just ground level obstacles?

if sliders wont protect from trees, are there any other solutions?
When ordered with the nerfs you'll have plenty to keep you off the trees. Here's a picture from the RR, 09. This is John (Roverdude)'s truck.
Name:  JGLWBsliders.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  83.8 KB

Take Care,
-Nate