Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rover owner, Overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savannah, is that the $129 one from Advance Auto? I do believe that my local AA has that in stock and I can get it today. Do it give you live data?

Br0 - On checking the radiator, wouldn't I have to run the vehicle to get everything to warm up? Once I do the Coolant fill and bleed!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what's the deal with the coolant. There is the old green, the gold and the pink. Have heard horror stories with all if them. What is ideal for the disco? Mine has g12 pink installed( same as Audi). Should I dump and go back to green?? Good luck.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you change out the dexcool make sure you flush it good the green does not mix well with the pink....

Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

seems like I bought mine at AA

Go with premixed coolant, like Peak.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Guys... I went to AutoZone this morning and bought a ScanGauge II for $130, double the cost of the UltraGauge, but I was able to have it in hand today (Yes I am one of those guys). More on the Gauge in a minute.

I also bought a gallon of Peak Pre-Mixed Coolant and the AutoZone guy helped me fill up the system. With the gauge plugged into the system it was reading 200 degree on the nose, and never changed while at idle for over 10 minutes.

Now back to the gauge... I ran a scan and it is not good at all, I really wish I had this gauge before I bought this damn vehicle on Saturday. I have a P0308 code! Misfire on Cylinder 8! And yes there is a Waterfall sound from behind the dash! I don't think I even want to know what this is going to cost me to get it fixed! Plus, my wife is going to freak, as she didn't really even want me to buy the damn thing! Any suggestions guys?

I bought this vehicle thinking that it would be a great second Winter driver vehicle as one of our cars is a 2010 Camaro and is no good in the Snow. Now it looks like I have made a terrible judgement call, and it cost me $4500!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Waterfall sound is classic bubbles in coolant. Can be purged, but could be exhaust gas bubbles and will return. Parts store has exhaust gas in coolant chemical test that sniffs coolant and changes color. HGs are most delicate on end of block (like cylinder 8) and can be DIY repaired for $300 parts, two weekends, and about $200 of machine shop inbetween.

A pre-purchase inspection is always a good investment. Here is pix of where the HG can leak. Rectangular port is the water channel. This one leaking internal and external. Oh, and if you are thinking KSeal or other block sealer, may work for a short period, but not long term. Would want to know if you have more rushing sound when accelerating (more pressure forces more exhaust gas) , and what coolant temp does at 50 mph (may not stay low).

SWMBO is another issue. Tennis bracelet?

Attached Thumbnails New Rover owner, Overheating!-hg-rear-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Yes the Waterfall gets worse and is louder when I accelerate. I am gonna be honest here and say that I CAN NOT do this work. I am no where near good enough, or know enough to tear this thing apart and try to fix things. Any idea what a repair place might charge for a HG repair? So Savannah, you don't think that I have dropped a Sleeve on this? Might solve the problem with the HG fix?

And I have no idea what you mean by this (SWMBO is another issue. Tennis bracelet?). I am not that great with Forum lingo!

Last edited by Slingin Carbon; 11-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Just got a Quote from a Service place and they told me $1700 for the HG repair. That is all the bolts, gaskets, machining the heads, coolant flush, oil change and all other crap!

Is this way outrageous? They did say they could do a full diagnostic for $30, but I am afraid what they might find and what it might cost me! haha Damn

Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no matter the quote, its always going to be more once they have it apart. Whoever does the work, make sure they do it right the first time. The wrong way is always more expensive. Keep us posted. Good luck with it.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the cheap way and look for the problem as other members have advised. Get the pressure test done and bleed the air out of your system (super easy) If you take your truck to a shop and say I think I need my Hg's done they will be more than happy to do it even if they do not need done. change the t stat. All very simple and very cheap to do. You can do a rad flush with your garden hose for the cost of antifreeze, yes it not the best but its better Im sure then you running it like it is.

You can search this forum for past posts and fixes on almost every and any issue will have. If not ask.

Ive had my truck for years and with advice and help from people on here have done and continue to do all the repairs myself. People on here myself included have learned by reading, asking questions and common sense. Even the master rover guys were once you. I did my head job with a few calls messing up Mikes football games (thanks again) and help from awesome people on here. If someone offers some free knowledge you have nothing to lose by listening. Make sure they have a DIsco though lol.

Make sure your electric fan is running as well, This is why I had to do a head job and only discovered it after I did HG. On your fuse box by the battery check the 5th fuse from the bottom standing in front of the truck. Its a 40 amp and is orange I think. I went through 2 expansion tanks, 3 tstats, hoses, numerous flushes till I had to after 4 years brake down and do the head gaskets. I in all that time only overheated 2 times and it was due to my expansion tank cracking from the heat and pressure caused by the boiling coolant. As Mike said your going to run out of bandaids.I did not think I could do it either till I decided **** it! Lets do it.

Then I still had the same problem and that damn fuse was still blowing. Upon advice gotten from some guy in Savanna Georgia lol I bought a used electric fan and no problems. Like Mike said diagnose before you start blowing cash. If I years ago would have brought up that fuse blowing I probably would not have needed to do my HG. Have a little faith in yourself and if unsure of what to do Read and ask and I found taking pics before, during and after make putting things back together so much easier. I at first had a hard time understanding the Rave as well and got frustrated you will lmao hear it every day you are on here "download and read the Rave". Once I asked how to understand what I was reading it was like magic I began to get it. A Disco is like learning how to please your lady in the bedroom. At times awkward and worry some at first but once you get it down makes a world of difference.

Its a fun beast to own and even more enjoyable when you fixed her yourself.

Last edited by aarongregor; 11-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New Rover owner, Overheating!