Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rover owner, Overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaron,

Thank you very much for your post! I completely understand what you are saying and I have decided that I am going to try and get down to diagnostic before I dump cash at this Disco. I have already done that with buying the thing, I bought it because I really love the look and I know that it will get through the next few winters the way I need it too. I was just very disheartening on Monday when I found out that I had a P0308 code after just dropping the $4,500 on Saturday to buy it. I felt like "OMG what have I done? I just bought a piece of crap money pit!" So yeah it was a tough couple days.

I have talked to a guy that work with (Who restores cars and engines) and he stated that is more then willing to help me diagnose the Disco a little and see what we can find that might be causing the issues. One thing he asked when I told him that some are saying it "Could" be the HG; he asked me if it blowing White Smoke or if the Oil is white-ish! Both of which are NO! So that is a little bit promising in that most vehicles will do that if the HG is bad! Mine has never smoked and the oil looks pretty good.

The first things I am going to check are the following:
1. Spark Plug on #8 Cylinder (Might just change all 8)
2. Spark Plug Wires (I am not sure when they were changed last)
3. Ignition Coil (Are these Cylinder specific?)
4. Coolant System Flush (AutoZone has a Kit and Additive)
5. Going to try and figure out how to Bleed the Coolant (Still not 100% sure on that one)!
6. Thermostat (AutoZone can not get one, where is a good place to order one)?

I am still getting the waterfall sound, but I have hear that could be the "Heater Coil"? Is that right? A service guy said that be fixed by unplugging the drain hose on it. I was also told that usually if the Heater Coil is bad, then the floor board would be wet (which it isn't).

I do completely want to save as much money as possible on this, as if I have to spend a ton, I will end up divorced or in the dog house for life. Just very scary to hear people tell me that I could have blown the HG or ruined the motor all together! Then I have to try and learn/figure out how to diagnose the problems myself (and I am nowhere near a mechanic).

Thank you again very much for all advise and help, I really do mean it! Dan

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 - get bosch +4 platinum plugs, they work great in these engines (torque to 15 ft-lb)
2 - get magnacore or sti (some also suggest kingsborn) wires 8mm preferred
3 - there are 2 coils on the coil pack, they're identical just flipped around, if you think you need to replace one, just replace both as #2 will probably be on its way out anyways.
4 - no real need for a flush kit. get yourself a hose, 3 gallons of distilled water and 2 gallons of concentrate green stuff (peak is good). Drain coolant by taking off lower hose, fill with hose water, run for a min, drain, (repeat if you wish), run a gallon of distilled (yes it wont be enough to fill system but it'll be enough to get some of the settled tap water out). Fill with peak and the rest of the distilled water in 50/50 mix + bottle of additive (water wetter/purple ice/etc) and be done with it.
5 - there are a lot of guides on bleeding the system but basically you fill it, cap it, open bleed screw, (most say raise the tank over engine) wait until coolant starts coming from bleed screw, tighten and you're done
6 - get the 180 deg motorad or comparable stat from around the web and do this while you flush coolant so you dont have to fill up twice.

You mean "heater CORE" it is full of air that will be taken out when you bleed the system, no need to do any extra crazy things.

Last edited by br0keit; 11-14-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok going to be a bit of a stupidity moment, but I am having a hard time finding the Spark Plug Wires you are talking about. I have found the Plugs on Amazon, but can't seem to find them at any of the auto parts stores.

Also, how can one tell if the Coils are bad? I do not want to spend $90/per if they are not bad!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling

$85 - Magnacore: View the 04-99 4.0, 4.6 - V8 - Discovery Series II at http://www.apexperformance.net
$35 - Kingsborne: IGN 790 Kingsborne Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wire Set - Kingsborne Ignition Spark Plug Wires Sets made in the USA
$70 - STI (double check they're 8mm before buying): Land Range Rover Discovery STI Ignition Wire Set

All prices do NOT include shipping.

You should do wires and plugs regardless. If you're still having issues after and have ruled everything else out only then worry about the coil pack. As for buying a pack, get the entire thing from a good vendor like AB. They make their packs special and work great though are a bit more expensive than you'll find at rockauto or the standard parts stores.

Last edited by br0keit; 11-14-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you very much for the LINKS... I will get them ordered today!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Can someone tell me WHICH Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs to use? There are a few different model #'s and every time I go to the Auto Parts Store Website, they tell me that none fit my 2003 Land Rover Disco II... WTH?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you br0keit!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Question for you guys... I was under the hood last night on the D2 and I did notice that it does have Blue STI Plug Wires on it. So I after all the reading I have done, I am thinking that I do not need to replace the wires at this time? I am gonna go ahead and change the Spark Plugs, I do not know what is currently in it, but I did order 8 Bosch Plat +4 plugs yesterday from Napa (Should have them today). Any opinions on the Wires would be appreciated.

Also, here is a funny thing for everyone to think about! I started up the D2 this morning and let it warm up and when I hit the Scan Button on the ScanGauge II, the P0308 code was gone! It said "No Code Found", is this possible? Will the code just go away? I did not clear it or do anything like that with the gauge. I did pull and re-seat the #8 cylinder Plug Wire while I was under that hood last night, but could that have caused that code to go away? Do codes just disappear?

Thanks guys!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

How ever it cleared, it may take a couple of drive cycles to re-appear. No happy dance just yet. Wait a week. New wires are always better than old cracked insulation wires. 8mm silicone will last longer under the hood. But nothing wrong with doing things a little at a time. SWMBO will not allow too much time to be spent on new vehicle or she will suspect something. Keep eyeball on the coolant temps.

Quick Reply: New Rover owner, Overheating!