Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Oil.... or something..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Missing Oil.... or something..

Hello guys!

I've had my 8mm Magnecors and 4+ Platinum plugs sitting on my bench for a while now, and since my SES light has been telling me that my #6 was missing (on my 2004 Disco.. it idled and ran rough when cold, for the first 30 seconds or so), and since we're FINALLY leaving on Tuesday for Colorado, I decided it was time to just have someone else put them in.

I have driven by a neighbor of mine's house a thousand times, but only once I was looking did I realize that the "Auto Repair" sign actually signified a business... Long story short, I talked to the guy for a long time, and I worked out a deal: If he would get online and research how to do the job right, I'd give him my business.

He did, and I dropped it off to him, and we went to a dinner & movie in GR.

**HERE'S THE PROBLEM...** The Mystery, you might say:

I get a call during the movie (on silent, lol). It's my mechanic, so I step out to take the call.

He says "Hey, when's the last time you changed your oil, and who did it?"

"About 2,500 miles ago, and it was me- I always do it- why, is there a problem?"

"Well, it was three quarts low."

"That's crazy, it never leaks, and it never smokes, or smells like it's burning?"

"Well, what kind of oil do you use?"

"Mobile 1 extended protection- it's like seven and a half bucks a quart."

"Oh, well I topped it off with normal 10w-30, so you'll want to change it."

So... I have two questions for you, my friends:

1) Am I cool to drive this to my office tomorrow and back- about 10 miles one way- before changing the oil tomorrow night? I can take my Motorcycle (Mandy needs the other Disco), but it's my SHTF bike, and therefore has no plates or anything... I'm of course referring to the fact that it's loaded with half 5w30 synthetic and half 10w30 regular oil.

2) Any thoughts on how three quarts of oil could be removed from my Disco without knowing about it?

Obviously, I should have been checking my oil for the last 1.5 months (the last time I changed it). I know that was silly- no excuses.

But still.... My disco absolutely does not smoke, or smell of burning oil. Nor does it run loudly. And, it certainly doesn't leak oil. I park in almost the same spot at my office and at home, and there is absolutely no oil leak.

I'm very baffled, my friends.... baffled indeed. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you, friends.

Pat

Last edited by Disco2Fever; 08-02-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

1) You'll be fine to wait on the oil change.

2) Crawl under the truck and take a gander. Change your oil and monitor the level closely. It's going somewhere. Bring a few extra quarts for your trip to CO just incase. Where you headed specifically? I can give it a once over if you plan on passing through Colorado Springs.

I think DiscoMike is near Denver as well.

Last edited by 98roverguy; 08-02-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Winching

Dude, I'll be freaking staying IN Colorado Springs! I might just take you up on that one, friend! THANK YOU!

We'll just be visiting some friends... We planned on staying in a camper that we were redoing, but we're still two weeks away from having it ready, and we want to get to CO before our summer slips through our grasp. My wife will be beginning classes on Sept. 1st, so we've gotta git.

Thanks friend!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Awesome! If your near Garden of the Gods I live about a mile or two from there. PM me if you wanna meet up!
The only other thing I can think of is if he somehow loosened the dipstick shaft on accident or something, not allowing the dipstick to extend all the way down. Did you check the oil level when you got the truck back? When you do your oil change add the correct amount of fluid and see if it reads full on the dipstick. If it's still low than obviously something isn't right with the dipstick etc.

Last edited by 98roverguy; 08-02-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Winching

I decided to just change the oil this morning. I'm done, and it perfectly level... we'll see if it holds up.

I'll get in touch with you once we make it out there! I'm going to visit AK Rover as well, and perhaps Disco Mike. Maybe we can all get together and have a latte, or I can watch you all get drunk and silly

Thanks for your help, man. I'll let you drive the Jeep Commander that I'll rent from Iowa, once my Disco blows up on the way.

Pat

Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pat-can you bring something back for me from CO Springs?

I had the exact sma eproblem after I bought my truck and switched it over to full synthetic...went through a qt every 500-1000 miles, didnt leak, didnt smoke but the oil was gone.
After my second oil change she used less oil, third less still, now she does not hardly use any.
I expect a 182,000 mile engine to use some oil so I dont worry about the 1 qt that I have to add between my 5000 mile oil changes.
So long story short, just check your oil once a week, like Sat morning before you go anywhere, and you'll be fine.
Make it a habit, every Sat morning when you go to feed the horses check the oil in both Disco's.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you loose any oil, and you see no drips, then you will need to look at the rings and more importantly your upper intake manifold gasket or the pvc hoses and oil separator either will suck the oil right out of your engine.
Next oil change do a engine flush to remove all the crude that built up while you were running so low on oil.
In the future, you might check under the hood a little more frequently, replacement engines are very expensive.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DiscoFever2 I feel your pain severly. I had posted my pain here http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...burning-32437/

Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you bring me a Sandwich from the Heart of Jerusalem

I love that place, I am going to have to move there.

Quick Reply: Missing Oil.... or something..