Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with a 2000 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with a 2000 Disco

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking in the shadows here reading thru the forum about what to do with a new your disco. I just bought this disco here a few days ago and left it down at the dealer till I can pick it up on friday (Crazy work schedule).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...QQcmdZViewItem

I didnt pay the price on the auction...Managed to get the dealer down to 8900.

Reading on here I know that you need to do an engine flush with these when you change the oil. This one is due for the oil change and was wondering if I have the steps right to do so. You buy 6 quarts of ATF fluid with a new filter and drain and refill with the ATF. Then you run 10 on and 5 off for 2 to 3 times. Then you drain and replace with your favorite oil. I have a friend that is a dealer for Amsoil but it does run still about 80 dollars for the oil and the filter. Is there another brand that I should look into?

Another thing reading on here is that this is a slighty higher mileagedisco but it is only going to be used for off roading and work from time to time. I was wondering what do I need to do for the maintence for the 120,000 just to get it over with. I do have dealers around here but I can do most of my own work. I just want to know what I am getting into so that I can start gearing up for the pleasure of owning one of these. I just read the other post about the 120 tune up. I will be doing that in about 2 weeks hopefull when I am down in Colorado.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Newb with a 2000 Disco

nice deal, I use amsoil only, in my baby. Your friend is a dealer? 80 bucksseems a bit steep to me.I use amsoil syn. in everything. oil, rear,front differentals transfercase and tranny. plus one bottle of lucas transfix.go on line to amsoil for an extra 10 bucks you can get dealer prices. their filters are great. course it only my two cents. is it worth the money? yea I think so. if you post Disco Mike He has a really great list of what should be done. I wouldn't take it to a dealer. you can do this yourself. and no you don't have to use amsoil Mobil 1 is good and priced less. might want to change all 4 O2 sensors as well. good luck and happy motoring.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

I had my oil changed while I was on a hurricane evac in Florida, and it cost me about 65ish. But I had to buy my own oil because I didn't want pennzoil. I use a Mobile 1 with no issues. If your knowledgeable with cars you can do a lot of your own maintenance. I good with cars but still learning troubleshooting that isn't mechanical. This is one of the few cars I've had that isn't carburated.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Just another random question about a disco. I know some of you have a code reader that will help reset codes if need be or at least read them. Do you have any links to a good one. It doesnt have any warning lights on yet but rather be prepared then sorry.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: ccombrink

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking in the shadows here reading thru the forum about what to do with a new your disco. I just bought this disco here a few days ago and left it down at the dealer till I can pick it up on friday (Crazy work schedule).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...QQcmdZViewItem

I didnt pay the price on the auction...Managed to get the dealer down to 8900.

Reading on here I know that you need to do an engine flush with these when you change the oil. This one is due for the oil change and was wondering if I have the steps right to do so. You buy 6 quarts of ATF fluid with a new filter and drain and refill with the ATF. Then you run 10 on and 5 off for 2 to 3 times. Then you drain and replace with your favorite oil. I have a friend that is a dealer for Amsoil but it does run still about 80 dollars for the oil and the filter. Is there another brand that I should look into?

Another thing reading on here is that this is a slighty higher mileage disco but it is only going to be used for off roading and work from time to time. I was wondering what do I need to do for the maintence for the 120,000 just to get it over with. I do have dealers around here but I can do most of my own work. I just want to know what I am getting into so that I can start gearing up for the pleasure of owning one of these. I just read the other post about the 120 tune up. I will be doing that in about 2 weeks hopefull when I am down in Colorado.

Thanks
Actually, the ATF flush is better done by allowing it to just idle for 20 to 30 minute, then shut it off and drain it. As for the list of stuff to do any any high mileage Disco is as follows.
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service the way I do it.
1 Oil filter , K&N 3001
1 Air filter
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.