Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie issues

Hi Fellow listers,

What a great resource! I found this site courtesy of the Jaguar xk8 forum and it looks like another great tool for my DIY toolchest, thanks.

Just bought a 98 Disco in great shape but needed some bodywork and looks fine now. I have 3 issues on the mechanical side that I could certainly use help with. It's a V8i (I think it's the multiport coz there doesn't seem to be an actual pcv just the little flame trap)

1) Engine starts at 2000rpm, (sunny CA) quite viscious really and only comes down to about 1000 when warmed up. Once or twice it did actually start at about 1000 and drop to 800 but maybe twice at most. I suspected the idle air valve and cleaned all the crud off inside and cleaned the connectorbut no joy. Guess I will replace it and see what happens.The only code is a "misfire" but it's so slight I can hardly detect it. After resetting it takes a day or 2 to come back on.

2) I had a short in the lighting circuit that resulted in the RH side lights working but the LH kept blowing the LH sidelight fuse under the dash. My mech wasn't keen to look but when I got it back the main lighting fuse under the hood keeps blowing almost immediately I turn the sidelights on. I suspected the switch on the steering column as that is all the mech touched and I took it apart for cleaning (boy what fun I needed a third hand) The contacts were awful and even when cleaned they have large areas of what looks like a copper discoloration? The switch seems to function mechanically ok. I did try disconnecting the LH sidelight bulbs but no difference so I am going to replace the switch anyway. Right now it looks very sad with all the steering guts hanging out

Front electric sunroof worked perfectly to begin with and then one day on closing there was a mechanical "crack" and now the roof moves all the way forward to the closing position but the trailing edge does not flap down closed. No sign of anything broken on the roof so I found the allen key hole in the motor and tried to close it mechanically per the manual. (Of course I removed that huge plastic section per the book to get at the motor before I noticed the little access panel aaaarrrgh) The motor only seems to move one way with the allen key in that it easily opens but it cannot be moved the other direction (ie. closed)

Any help would be much appreciated

Alan
White 98 Disco
Black 99 XK8 (BLKKTTY)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Newbie issues

I can only comment on the sunroof. Mine does the same thing, Close it as far as it will go and then drive around and it will close when you hit the right bump.
Then just dont open it again. It's the front sunroof isint it?
We will tilt ours but we will not open it because we are afraid it will not move and we will be stuck with a open sunroof during the April monsoons.