Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

My wife's 02 Disco II just ran out of the CPO warranty. So of course the issues have begun.

I am hoping there is a simple answer to the question. I have done searches but am afraid I don't have the right words for my searches as the results have not given me anything useful yet. I am quite good at referring to internet forums and doing much of the work on my M5 so I am hoping I have found the right resource here for the Disco.

We will start with the biggest issue. The back lights on the heater control head have stopped working. The heater display lights up, but the rocker switch for hot/cold and both sides and the four buttons below the heater display are dark.

Do these buttons run off their own fuse (I don't think so, but that sure would be an easy fix)? Is there a single light board for all the buttons or do each have their own lights? In my M5 each button on the console has it's own led light behind it and you can gently pry them out and just replace the led from any parts store. These buttons seem different as they all went dark at the same time.

Last question, I need a good indy mechanic in the Seattle area. I don't want to use the $tealership for service now that we don't have a warranty.

I will get into more details and questions once I get this fixed. The wife is more concerned with the features she sees inside the car then how the car runs overall, so I will start here with interior questions first.

Looks like a great site, I am happy to be a member!

Are there any other Disco II / M5 owners out there?

Cheers,
Rob

Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
4th Gear

Ok, one more Q for the moment. Will the Rave Manual work on a Mac? I can't get it to load. Is it windows only? I hope not ;(

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good mechanics : Biggs Eastside in Bellevue, had great experience with them. I've also heard Lamorna Garage in Ballard is good, never been there myself though.

Here's the bulbs for your HVAC unit, mine are out too, just too lazy to replace them http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/JWH100070G.cfm

Not sure about the RAVE and Mac.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor. Where abouts in Seattle are you? My wife and I live in Renton, have an '02 DII and my name is Rob also....creepy

Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't know about Rave working on a mac, but I'm running it on linux through Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) which also apparently works on OS .

Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 PM
4th Gear

I found Rave as a pdf, all good there. Tore apart the console, got the heater unit out and found there are a couple inserted in the board, half twist and they were out. Took them to Lynnhood $tealer and found they are only $3.75 each to replace. They will have them in stock tomorrow, so I should be able to report tomorrow that all is fixed.

We are up in Bothell. Nice to meet yea, thanks for the warm welcome.

Here is a link to the Rave in pdf. I hope it is ok to post...
http://www.landroverresource.com/

Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM
4th Gear

Oh and thanks for the heads up on Biggs. I have heard good things about them.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes RAVE is just a PDF should work on any computer and some smartphones.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
I Tore apart the console, got the heater unit out and found there are a couple inserted in the board, half twist and they were out. Took them to Lynnhood $tealer and found they are only $3.75 each to replace. They will have them in stock tomorrow, so I should be able to report tomorrow that all is fixed....
Nice, how easy was the HVAC unit removal? Require any special tools?