Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Newbie questions (just a couple) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/newbie-questions-just-couple-95467/)

ezragray 06-29-2019 09:35 PM

Newbie questions (just a couple)

I have access to 2 salvage D2s ('01 & '02) for a limited time; I'm wondering about a couple of different components:

1) Viscuous fan: These older fans have an outer plastic band connecting the blades. My 2004 doesn't. Is there any advantage of one type over the other?

2) Oil cooler radiator: Would it be worthwhile to install this? I'm about to change my water pump so I'll have everything apart.

I only got my 2004 in April. Luckily, I found this forum right away & it's shepherded me through a rapid-fire "greatest hits" medley of D2 woes!

So far I've addressed:

* CPS to fix the no-start condition that got me an enviable purchase deal.
* Rattling cylinder liners: pinned the liners and installed a gray 180° t-stat.
* A bleed tee which snapped off & quickly vomited entire contents of cooling system into the street.
* Tired plug wires. Swapped these out when I had the motor mounts out & the engine lowered for better access for the liner pinning. Also removed the intake plenum for access & replaced the coil packs just because.
* Fixed the ash/coin tray springs with zip ties.
* 3 amigos: Actually haven't dealt with this as they've only been for a couple of short visits, but I knew from you folks not to completely stress out about it.

So thanks! Y'all are awesome.

redwhitekat 06-29-2019 09:41 PM

I would take some window motors alternator sai pump abs unit etc forget fans and clutch’s

btw who pinned and how much for the liner job

Discorama 06-30-2019 03:33 PM

2) Oil cooler radiator: Would it be worthwhile to install this?

I think so. I measure oil temps before the filter of 240F while coolant temps are 190F. That's at least a 50F temp difference within the block and I wonder if that is healthy, as well as the 240F oil temps, considering oil will get even hotter on engine parts (engine oil starts to break down at 270F). I haven't done this yet on my 2004 D2, but consider installing an engine oil radiator. First I need to find the parts, the lines/hoses are hard to get.

I have access to 2 salvage D2s ('01 & '02) for a limited time;

I you have a set of lines left over, I am interested in.

Extinct 07-01-2019 06:34 PM

Early fans are prone to cracking, go for the later one.

Get the trans cooler, its actually larger in surface area than the oil cooler. Drill a hole in the non-screw end and use a screw to hold it on.

Get the door lock motors and sunroof motors, you will wind up needing those.

Good to have:

ABS sensors
SAI tubes
PS pump
Front driveshaft
Horn buttons

JUKE179r 07-02-2019 03:22 AM

Check the gearbox on the '01 since it might have the nipple for diff lock and not the linkages.
You can pull it, and sell it for some money for other Disco parts.