Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Newby With A Tick!!! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/newby-tick-58050/)

Isaiah08 03-31-2013 09:53 PM

Newby With A Tick!!!

Would like to start out by saying Thank You to alot of the members on this sight especially the seniors your knowledge is greatly appreciated!!!!

I just purchased a 2000 Discovery with 145,000. My new toy has become my priority and I've all but orphaned my wife and kid for the last few weeks.
My new LR considering her age seems to be pretty solid from the homework and forums I've read. Since purchasing I have replaced spark plugs with Champion Platinums/ Magnacore 8mm Wires, Flushed radiator/engine, Drained/Changed transmission fluid/filter and Power steering fluid, Changed oil/filter 2x in a month and done some interior/exterior work!! Since purchasing I have only been putting premium in, I have an oil pressure test in the works to be done in the next few days and I'm trying to find a parts store in Chatt, Tn that will read my codes seems everyones to busy.

I am by no means overly mechanically inclined, but when needed I can be pretty self sufficient and can follow detailed directions accurately, but I got some questions about my LR that I need help with so I can plan my next damage control scenario.

1. After reading many forums I have concluded I got a Tick!! It's not a Knock, Clank or Thud It's a Tick and seems to be coming from upper left motor under valve cover. Starts when I start the car and doesn't stop till I turn off even after proper warm up increases in revs as I accelerate. Scale of 1-10 on how loud probably about a 4 hasn't gotton any louder/quieter stays steady. All gauges work temperature remains solid?

2. Also have a whinning. Sounds like a grounded or ungrounded amp wire just a constant errrrrrrrrrrr coming from control panel only at start up and last a short time. Seems to go away with steering wheel play?

So my question is could it be a sleeve, cracked manifold, drive shaft, valves etc... I have read alot and I feel like I'm chasing my tail any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! I lose this battle with my wife I lose thde war and will never live it down!! She's got me on the ropes ha ha. Thanks Again ;)

MC04DII 03-31-2013 10:18 PM

Welcome to insanity, lol. Seriously though, for the tick, I would pull plug wires one at a time. If the noise dulls a lot or goes away on any cylinder, then probably an exhaust leak. If not then most likely internal i.e. lifter, valve, liner.
As for the whine, I'm not too sure, but I'm sure someone can help.

Savannah Buzz 04-01-2013 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a whine associated with secondary air injection when that pump run, there is also a small fan built into the dash left of the steering column to suck in air to feed temperature info to the HVAC system.

Under the hood you can take a yard stick and hold against your ear, and touch spots, like the valve covers. You'll be able to hear what is going on much better and narrow it down. If tick starts at cold start up you are lucky, because it is not likely a slipping cylinder liner, which usually start once warmed up. More likely valve train (rocker arm, etc.). As mentioned, drop plugs off to see change in noise.

Hope you are using an oil than ends with "W40".

94svt50 04-01-2013 09:09 AM

Seriously, close the hood and stop listening. Once you start listening for ticks it will only drive you mad and will only end with a decrease in wallet thickness and an increase in blood pressure. Walk a way and dont worry about it, if it was bad then the truck wouldnt run. let it go............

slabrat 04-01-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 94svt50 (Post 389205)
Seriously, close the hood and stop listening. Once you start listening for ticks it will only drive you mad and will only end with a decrease in wallet thickness and an increase in blood pressure. Walk a way and dont worry about it, if it was bad then the truck wouldnt run. let it go............

I agree with 94 .The mechanic at the indi shop I go to said to use 5w50 if cold climate or 10w50 in warm climate and don't worry about it till you notice it get worse. Most of them do it. My 99 doesn't but the 06 does a little. Not sure how much crap I will catch about the 10w50:rolleyes: but it gets hot here in the summer so I will probably switch to this next oil change.

drowssap 04-01-2013 11:27 AM

shell rotella 15 40 diesel oil

SuperSport 04-01-2013 03:31 PM

I switched from 5w30 to 10w40 and tick is almost gone now. Only some times can I hear it. Normally, it was constant. I also had same issue with my Jaguar XJR. Heavier oil and tick stopped.

I recently saw an advertisement on YouTube of a 2013 rover, and when it passed by the camera, I heard the identical tick. Laughed to myself about how much it worried me when I first heard it on XJR and Disco. Now I sleep well...

Isaiah08 04-02-2013 10:13 PM

Newby With A Tick!!!

I appreciate everyones feedback I trying to work on getting my bearings straight with this whole thing.

Upon more investigation I think my tick has become a rattle. Sounds like a metalic rattle in the front of motor and at times sounds like a piece of metal bouncing around the engine and also a little screech here and there?!!!

Anyone got any ideas on this one? I read some of Spikes forums where he said could be pulleys, alternator etc..?

Been running Rotella 15-40 still no change in temp holding fluids well my tick is now a rattle, BB dancing around with a screech.

It's starting to bug the *#!t out of me cause I haven't had long enough to figure her sounds and handling!

Once again I am thankful for any and all suggestions!! Thanks :eek:

MC04DII 04-02-2013 11:09 PM

Listen closely by the cats. You could have a busted one. Internals start rattling. If not that, maybe loose torque converter bolt.

Isaiah08 04-02-2013 11:46 PM

Hey man i have heard alot about these cats but I'm not real sure what that is and where to look?