Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   no fuel to cylinders (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/no-fuel-cylinders-13678/)

bobm 05-03-2008 05:48 PM

no fuel to cylinders

95 disco 3.9 will not start, cranks, strong spark, 40lbs pressure in the fuel rail. after cranking for a while i pulled the plugs and they are dry. injectors do not seem to be firing?

Spike555 05-03-2008 05:58 PM

RE: no fuel to cylinders

Bad crank sensor.

jkid 05-03-2008 06:35 PM

Unless it's different than on a DII, the crank sensor controls the spark, he has that. I think that the camshaft sensor fires the injectors, but it seems like it should have a default mode if it fails. Do you have any check engine light and codes?

Spike555 05-03-2008 06:41 PM

Diagnostics – Failure to Start
These procedures assume that the battery is charged and is capable of turning
the engine over, and that no DTCs have been set.
Fuel pump operates, and engine turns over but does not start. No “check engine”
light with the ignition on.
This usually indicates that the security is armed. Attempt to disarm it by cycling the
PLIP several times. If this fails a Rovacom will have to be used to perform a Security
Learn procedure.
”Check engine” light on with the ignition, engine turns over and attempts to start
but then stops.
Check that the fuel pump runs briefly when the ignition is turned on. If you do not hear
the fuel pump check the fuses. If the fuse is normal the fuel pump has failed and must
be replaced.
If you do hear the fuel pump it is probable that the MAF sensor has failed and must be
replaced.

Spike555 05-03-2008 06:44 PM

I copied that from a GEMS manual, he doesnt have a cam sensor, he has a distribitor.
There are only two reasons a GEMS engine will not run, bad crank sensor or bad MAF. Assuming all else is good, i.e., fuel pressure and spark, which his is good.

Disco Mike 05-03-2008 06:51 PM

Possible cam sensor.

bobm 05-03-2008 08:30 PM

my 95 does not have a cam sensor or a crank sensor according to the rave cd. what triggers the injector pulse

Spike555 05-04-2008 08:12 AM

If it doesnt have a cranksensor, then I do not know.
I would think that it has to have a crank sensor.

Disco Mike 05-04-2008 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bobm

my 95 does not have a cam sensor or a crank sensor according to the rave cd. what triggers the injector pulse
I think you are right.

bobm 05-04-2008 10:12 AM

older bosch systems took a signal from the tach input to pulse the injectors but for a 95 disco i can't figure it out, unless the maf sensor is the triggering device butmaf sensors normally have a default output which allows the engine to start, this should also be true for the other sensors like fuel temp, collant temp, and throttle position. i am new to land rovers andthe 95 discoappears to be unique as far as the fuel system is concerned