Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O4' Disco Burning Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O4' Disco Burning Coolant

Ok, so I've been browsing the forums trying to figure out my latest problem with my Rover. Shes a black beauty with 83K on her, and nary a problem until lately. She's been burning coolant, as you can smell it quite strongly, every time I park it in the garage. Though I never see any coolant on the garage floor. Not even a drop if its been sitting for a week. I've just been topping it off about every week or two as it will be a pint to quart low. Then while I was using it to haul my boat, the CES light popped on, and can feel a slightly "rough" idle at stop lights on my way home. I get home and read the codes, and its a "misfire on cylinder 8". Now I'm convinced that the two are likely related somehow... and a third culprit shows up in the form of bad gas mileage... even by Rover standards.

Now I'm thinking one of two possible options. 1, the headgasket was slightly leaking, and now seeping and causing the misfire in cylinder 8 causing the decrease in gas mileage due to engine providing less horsepower. 2, the liner has slipped in cylinder 8 (common problem with these engines) causing the same issues.

I've checked the oil for coolant, both dipstick, and fill cap and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Other than the slightly "rough" idle, gas mileage concern, and having to top off the coolant every couple weeks she runs fine. Parked in the garage for now until I figure out how I want to proceed. Wanted to throw the problem out there to you experts for your opinion before I do anything else.

Last edited by houstonrover09; 06-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Stop driving it "TODAY" or you will loose your engine.
Get the engine checked by doing a coolant pressure test and a chemical block test, then have the head gaskets replaced, on a 04, should run you around $1600 plus new 8mm plug wires and a t/stat along with a head inspection and possible resurfacing.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mike is right

Listen to Mike and throw in a new raditor just so you can sleep at night...

there you go $40,000.00 truck and 83,000 miles later poof.... FPOS...

If can turn a wrench you can get done for under a grand with a new raditor and do over a weekend. It's not super difficult..justa pain in the ***... I have a 04 also . You can do it..

check it out like mike said first and get back with what you find out..

Good Luck, Chris

Last edited by vandev; 06-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
4wd Low

I haven't driven it in a week now. Luckily its only a spare car. I feared it might be something drastic, but could always be worse. I'll call around to a few reputable service shops in the area and see what they might quote me as a price. This something I should have done by a LR shop, or can any good service shop do the work? Thanks DiscoMike for the prompt reply.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default NO!

Originally Posted by houstonrover09
I haven't driven it in a week now. Luckily its only a spare car. I feared it might be something drastic, but could always be worse. I'll call around to a few reputable service shops in the area and see what they might quote me as a price. This something I should have done by a LR shop, or can any good service shop do the work? Thanks DiscoMike for the prompt reply.

Do not go to the dealer whatever you do...well, that is unless you have the black american express card..

Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by vandev
Do not go to the dealer whatever you do...well, that is unless you have the black american express card..
Not only are you going to need the black american express card but you are also going to have to go back to the dealer one to three times until they get it right.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not recommend buying a new radiator. IF you are concerned about the flow go to a good radiator shop that specializes in radiators only and have them flush, clean, and pressure test it and if it all comes out good. There, $40-$50 bucks instead of $500 for a used one. I would listen to mike and get a new thermostat though when doing the head gsket job. Save the money you will need it down the road.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
4wd Low

JULY UPDATE: Ok, so after spending the last few weeks away on business in London, I finally got Rover in to the shop to get the coolant leak pressure tested. Turns out the leak is from a heater hose, and the coil pack is bad causing the rough idle and cylinder misfire. Also a few various gaskets are bad and leaking engine oil, along with leaks in the transfer case and both differentials. Though I guess for a Rover with 84K miles, could be worse leaks. Good news, is engine otherwise seems to be fine, and head gaskets appear to be good. Bad news, is its still a rather pricey repair bill, but you don't buy a Rover and expect it be cheap to maintain. Hopefully though, it will see it one day hit 200K... (fingers crossed)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sounds good

Originally Posted by houstonrover09
JULY UPDATE: Ok, so after spending the last few weeks away on business in London, I finally got Rover in to the shop to get the coolant leak pressure tested. Turns out the leak is from a heater hose, and the coil pack is bad causing the rough idle and cylinder misfire. Also a few various gaskets are bad and leaking engine oil, along with leaks in the transfer case and both differentials. Though I guess for a Rover with 84K miles, could be worse leaks. Good news, is engine otherwise seems to be fine, and head gaskets appear to be good. Bad news, is its still a rather pricey repair bill, but you don't buy a Rover and expect it be cheap to maintain. Hopefully though, it will see it one day hit 200K... (fingers crossed)
Glad you doged a bullet for now...expect to rebuild half the truck if you want 200,000 k ..i did and rebuilt about half.....make sure you flush the coolent every 30,000 miles as dex will kill your system...switch if you can....All the best Chris

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad to read your issue was nothing too major,,,

mine was doing this and i could smell hot coolant everytime i parked it in my garage but could not see any drips from under the rig. finally i remembered to look at the TB heater and sure enough there was a small break in the gasket and it was leaking there.

picked up a new plate kit at the dealer for $29 and replaced it in 30min.

Last edited by sloppyjoe; 07-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: O4' Disco Burning Coolant