Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Code - P0430

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: OBDII Code - P0430

Question, why exactly are you thinking about your 02's other thgen by mileage they should be changed? Have you had a fault code showing an 02 issue?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, my apologies for the confusion. For clarity, let me run through the scenario again...

About two weeks ago, I got a check engine light and took my truck in to a local LR shop here in Jacksonville, FL. The mechanic read the code and found that one of the post-cat O2 sensors was bad. He replaced that one and tightened everything up. The truck was significantly quieter and ran much better. I also had the oil changed while the truck was in the shop.

This past weekend, we went out to the woods and on the way home, on Sunday, the Check Engine light came on again. I had the code read on Tuesday at AutoZone and posted it here to get everyone's thoughts. On Thursday, I took it in to the same mechanic, who listened to it and diagnosed the issue as being the catalytic converter. He then referred me to a shop that has experience with Land Rovers who quoted me a price of $450 for the installation of 2 new cats and a new Y-Pipe.

My curiosity re: the other 3 O2 sensors is a product of Spike's statement that "you need to have all of your O2's repalced at the same time. Or at the very least in pairs, so the back two and then the front two for example."

Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Johhny-I say that because O2's get the same amount of wear, you would just replace one tire on your car would you? I mean in a emergency just to get you home sure.
But the O2's do wear out at the same rate and should be replaced in pairs if not sets to do the job 100% correct.
Make sense? Its your truck you can do whatever you want, but it is recommended that they are replaced in sets.
You will get codes for the others soon and replacing them one at a time ensures that you will be back to the shop.
However, he did do only what was needed so kudos for your mechanic for that, but he should have suggested all four.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Overlanding

Hi all,

For the last two years I've being little by little trying to take care of my 2003 Disco SE V8 (96K miles), but sometimes I feel ready to sell it! This week I got P0430 code, after resetting the error it came back the same day. Here is a little history of what I had done on the Disco in the last ~20 months:
- 90K full maintenance (fluids, sparks, air filter, new ignition cables too)
- New break pads.
- New tires
- New O2s (4). The passenger side (front) replaced 3x since I had a leak on the engine that killed the sensor.
- New engine gasket. Fixed engine oil leak (1 month ago)
- New coolant container (1 month ago)
- Oil/filter change per schedule.

My questions:
a) Do I need a new catalytic converter? Usually I will get a code for the oxygen sensor but this time only the P0430, so I'm assuming is not the O2 sensor this time.
b) Where can I get one that meets California regulations?
c) Its ok if I drive it a few miles a day?

Best regards,
Joseph L.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Mudding

I wouldn't assume they have been changed. You can get all 4 from British parts of Utah for ~$240.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Overlanding
Default P0430

Originally Posted by Fireman
I wouldn't assume they have been changed. You can get all 4 from British parts of Utah for ~$240.
I'm not sure what you meant, but I actually was present when they replaced the O2 sensors. Plus, I always asked to give me the bad parts. There is always a change I can get fool, but hope this is not the case. Do you think is worth changing the O2 sensor before the Cats. Since the CATs are quite a big expense. I dont understand why they will go bad less than 100K miles. I heard most people get almost as twice much miles!

thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Mudding

My suggestion: Change all 4, clear the codes, and wait and see what appears. If the codes come back immediately, then take a closed look at the cats.

Questions: Are you always using premium? Do you use any fuel additives?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Overlanding
Default P0430

Originally Posted by Fireman
My suggestion: Change all 4, clear the codes, and wait and see what appears. If the codes come back immediately, then take a closed look at the cats.

Questions: Are you always using premium? Do you use any fuel additives?
Good morning,

- We always use premium and maybe a few times used additives.
- I changed all O2 less than 2 years ago. is there anything I could do to check them (voltage?) before replacing them again...

Does anybody knows a GREAT Disco mechanic in the Santa Clarita area, CA?

Best regards,
Joseph