Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Did the mod to Chloe a few days ago. I never had consistently or constant super high temps per say, it would run predominantly 188-194 with a hint of 197 most of the time…my problem was with running a bit over 100 over ambient or having temp spikes on the highway, at idle, low speeds, etc.
After the system was completely bled, this kit works exactly as advertised. And I now understand the cooling situation with these trucks MUCH better than before. I’m seeing much more consistent temps and easily holding a a temp at 100 over ambient most of the time, give or take a few less or a few more.
Seeing lower average temps with AC on. Lower temps at highway speeds and a massive improvement at idle with AC running. I could never have idled for more than 5 mins without running into the 200s with no clue when it would stop. I always had to kill the engine before it got to critical temps if I was in a line for too long, or put it in neutral and spin up the RPMs at longer stop lights. Not now, at least not so far. I let it idle for 15 mins with AC at 90 degrees ambient. It maxed at 197 on the ultra gauge. Cruising around at 86 ambient with no AC will get it down to 179-183. When I pull into my neighborhood, I roll at about 15mph due to children playing. In this case Chloe used to start spiking the temps once I got to the neighborhood. Now it actually cools down a few degrees or stays the same! Usually 183-185 now.
I haven’t run it in high 90s ambient yet but so far I have yet to see over 200. Yesterday I had it loaded down with kayaks and gear with AC kicking in high 80s ambient. Ran consistently cool as a cucumber as compared to before the mod.

Im having this installed on Clarkson as well. He’s having a new engine done now. He will get a new aluminum rad and high flow electric fans. So I’m excited to see the results on him!

Absolute no brainer mod. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Daytoman; 09-06-2021 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daytoman:
The Deputy (09-13-2021), whowa004 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I’ve been playing around with Extincts different thermostats 160, 170, 180 in the South Florida summer weather. Everything in the cooling system is new and AC was at max for the drives. The 160, 170 temperatures after a short drive on the freeway at about 70 climb to 215. Not sure if it would keep going if I continued. As soon as I pulled off the freeway temps would go down to 204 for a moment but would stay for the duration of stop and go traffic 25-40mph at 208-212.
Switching out to the 180 thermostat temps 70mph on freeway went to 212 for about 30 seconds but lowered to 208-210 with speeds varying 65-70. Pulling off freeway temps hovered around 204-206 in the same 25-40mph stop and go traffic. I did see 197-199 at 25 mph constant speed.
Not sure if I have a problem but seems to be similar numbers to others with the same outside temps.
I’m wondering how the 190 thermostat would perform.

Really wish our radiators were a little larger!

Old 09-11-2021, 08:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Could have air in the system still or another problem. At 10 to 15 mph on about a 13% uphill grade with a ton of switchbacks my Disco briefly hit 217 then dropped to a pretty steady 208-210. About 75 deg ambient, no Ac about 1800 to 2000 rpm. 180 deg thermostat.

More than a better rad we need a better water pump, there is no option there unfortunately

Old 09-12-2021, 06:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
I’ve been playing around with Extincts different thermostats 160, 170, 180 in the South Florida summer weather. Everything in the cooling system is new and AC was at max for the drives. The 160, 170 temperatures after a short drive on the freeway at about 70 climb to 215. Not sure if it would keep going if I continued. As soon as I pulled off the freeway temps would go down to 204 for a moment but would stay for the duration of stop and go traffic 25-40mph at 208-212.
Switching out to the 180 thermostat temps 70mph on freeway went to 212 for about 30 seconds but lowered to 208-210 with speeds varying 65-70. Pulling off freeway temps hovered around 204-206 in the same 25-40mph stop and go traffic. I did see 197-199 at 25 mph constant speed.
Not sure if I have a problem but seems to be similar numbers to others with the same outside temps.
I’m wondering how the 190 thermostat would perform.

Really wish our radiators were a little larger!
Always important to quote your ambient. Also you didn't run the test with zero thermostat installed. I was in SC over the holiday weekend, thermostat was sticking occasionally so I pulled it and drove home with no thermostat at all. Held right at 185 in 85 degree ambient weather +/- 5 degrees. Getting to be fall here in VA so this week it would take about 3-4 miles on my 6 mile mile morning commute before it got all the way up to operating temp (ambients in the 60s).

Richard, as for your conditions you might consider gearing down to spin the engine faster, or consider electric fans for those low speed off-road adventures. Lots of people have put on the big clutches and fans and those help as long as you keep the engine spinning, but the electrics work even with the engine idling or off. That's what I run with my off-road truck.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry Extinct, ambient was 95 for the recent tests. I did run without thermostat previously, beginning of July when we had first talked about the high temps and You suggested I should also probably start by removing the bumper lights ! At that time looking back at our texts ambient was 85 and I reported temps in the mid 190s at 75 mph.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm still waiting for some of the more mechanically inclined on this thread to try adding one of these electric booster pumps to their cooling system:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcw-dc-8970

This could be programmed to run at low engine speeds (i.e., idling, rock crawling) when the temps hit a preset value.

The following 2 users liked this post by TimInNova:
Daytoman (09-12-2021), The Deputy (09-13-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Always important to quote your ambient. Also you didn't run the test with zero thermostat installed. I was in SC over the holiday weekend, thermostat was sticking occasionally so I pulled it and drove home with no thermostat at all. Held right at 185 in 85 degree ambient weather +/- 5 degrees. Getting to be fall here in VA so this week it would take about 3-4 miles on my 6 mile mile morning commute before it got all the way up to operating temp (ambients in the 60s).

Richard, as for your conditions you might consider gearing down to spin the engine faster, or consider electric fans for those low speed off-road adventures. Lots of people have put on the big clutches and fans and those help as long as you keep the engine spinning, but the electrics work even with the engine idling or off. That's what I run with my off-road truck.
im having E-fans, with manual on/off switch, installed on Clarkson with the new engine and new, larger radiator. In-line thermo will be done as well. I’ll be interested in seeing what the temps do with his modifications.

still seeing good results in Chloe and my Indy shop owner also suggested throwing E-fans on her as well at some point.

maybe I’m wrong but a swear that somewhere I ran across a replacement water pump with slightly lager blades that moves a bit more coolant?.. I just can’t recall exactly.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

you could have a different pulley machined to increase flow for the water pump unless the system is already maxed out in terms of flow through the motor. I had an oops summer issue on Friday it was roughly 95 ambient, ran into a buddys shop to swap some parts and ended up talking for a few minutes and I had the dogs in the truck so left it running with the ac going. The truck was running 217 and once I got moving dropped back to 199-203 but would start creeping up at stop lights as everything was already so heat soaked. Some e-fans would have helped immensely in this situation and might be something I need to look into as I can see them getting quite a bit of use off-road or heavy traffic situations.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (09-13-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@Extinct that long climb was the only high temp in the entire run, at that point my ECU was running pure default due a couple of pending codes, damm washboard. And pretty much heat soaked, dropping down the other side I hit a low as 163 -165 for a couple of minutes. I really cannot complain I think that hill took about 30-40 minutes to peak, the 180 switch backs prevented any constant high rpm any way.

The rest of the trip I think my highest was 197 maybe 204 at one point.

I have a good water pump and I have considered doing a swap to make sure I have a solid pump in there.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
I'm still waiting for some of the more mechanically inclined on this thread to try adding one of these electric booster pumps to their cooling system:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcw-dc-8970

This could be programmed to run at low engine speeds (i.e., idling, rock crawling) when the temps hit a preset value.
These are a nice option, and exactly what l thought of when Richard said there really isn't any other options. Racers use this set up and gives them the option of running pump after engine is shut off in the pits. It comes with a temp sensor, so it would run/come on at whatever temp you decide. Pretty pricey, but for folks that off road or do a lot of city driving...it's a nice option.

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread