Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil + Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil + Coolant

I'm finding a good bit of leaking oil and a very small amount of coolant leaking as well. From what I can tell, the oil level checked on the dipstick is reading that it's full. Gladly when I pull the dipstick all I find is oil and no coolant mixed in giving the milkshake sheen.

I understand that no matter what, these vehicles will leak. But I'm just trying to be proactive with this leak. The oil + coolant got me stirred up. Could it be time for a valve cover gasket job?

What is up with my Disco?

Disco 2 118k, lived a cushy life in the Bay til I bought it.

thanks yall

Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
I'm finding a good bit of leaking oil and a very small amount of coolant leaking as well. From what I can tell, the oil level checked on the dipstick is reading that it's full. Gladly when I pull the dipstick all I find is oil and no coolant mixed in giving the milkshake sheen.

I understand that no matter what, these vehicles will leak. But I'm just trying to be proactive with this leak. The oil + coolant got me stirred up. Could it be time for a valve cover gasket job?

What is up with my Disco?

Disco 2 118k, lived a cushy life in the Bay til I bought it.

thanks yall
You're going to have to do some leg work and trace the source of the leaks. Mine is an 02 with 165k. It "used" to leak but not any more. I fixed them all so far.

These trucks don't have to leak, just some leaks are too costly for some to bother with sometimes.

Find the sources then start making a plan to address each one specifically.

My 2 cents. Harbor freight sells a coolant pressure tester for about $70 with a 20% coupon. Oil leaks might need a flashlight.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

de-grease your truck and give every bolt on the valve covers and oil pan a quarter turn, i'm sure you will find some that will take more. tighten every screw type hose clamp.

then the leaks might slow down enough to pin point the actual leaks

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Another thing I found out, I thought I had an oil leak. Turns out coolant was leaking from the water pump, washing off old oil from the engine, and when it hit the ground it looked like oil. When I fixed the coolant leak, no more oil hitting the ground either.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Mudding

Wow thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll give the ideas a try. As I was looking last night, it seemed that the majority of the leaking was originating from the front of the engine, near the steering box and belts and such. I'll give it a thorough looking over again tonight too.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,501 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Could be a power steering pump leak, very common, will likely need a new pump if it is.

Also, front cover/intake gasket leaks are common if the valve cover baffle is plugged. Spray some carb cleaner in the breather tube and let it soak, you may be able to pull the baffle out if it is a 99-02. If it is an 03-04 you will need to pull the tube out of the valve cover (use a small pipe wrench to prevent crushing the tube or a vise grip if it is 03-04) and remove the baffle (might have to be drilled out if it has not been cleaned before). Plugged baffles cause the crankcase pressure to go positive and blow oil out of lots of locations (cam sensor, valley pan gasket, valve cover gasket, front seal, rear seal, etc).

Old 03-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Mudding

On the way home tonight, after a workshop night of changing brake pads, the temp on my Torque OBDII Reader rose steadily until it hit a high of 210 degrees. Typical operating temp (ever since I got my low temp t-stat installed) had been 179-183. But tonight it rose all of a sudden! I'm a bit concerned..

Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

a very small amount of coolant leaking as well
Originally Posted by back9sunday
But tonight it rose all of a sudden! I'm a bit concerned..

Any thoughts on that?
You may need to check coolant level each day prior to first start/drive cycle when at ambient temp and top-off as needed. Should be SOP for all LR owners, small amounts of coolant leaking or unnoticed seeps will soon lead to abnormally high temps.

Last edited by number9; 03-03-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pressure test your cooling system

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
You may need to check coolant level each day prior to first start/drive cycle when at ambient temp and top-off as needed. Should be SOP for all LR owners, small amounts of coolant leaking or unnoticed seeps will soon lead to abnormally high temps.

Absolutely correct! Topped off the coolant level today, and to my delight, temps are back to normal.

I will need to pressure test for sure once I find a pressure tester. I'm sure someone around my workplace has one. We're handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tonight I will be tightening up the oil pan and hoses that are around the engine bay that may be a source of leaks.

Quick Reply: Oil + Coolant