Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Discovery.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first Discovery.

2004 "S" with the trail package that includes nerf bars and the front grill with lights. I bought this from a gent that has owned 20 Land Rovers including: Defenders. I put a bit of merit into that thinking he would be up front on problems with the vehicle. It's in excellent shape with 95K miles.

The only issues with the exterior are the eyebrows which I'll order a new set from A.B. The interior looks new, especially the seats. I had to replace the glove compartment latch ($30) and I'll put a new boot on the emergency brake.

I love driving it. My last neighbor had a 98' Defender 90 and two SII Disco's. I've always liked them but took a big interest about 2 years ago and started doing some homework on them.

I do fear the head gasket replacement and hope with the proper maintenance of oil changes and cool system up keep that I'll bypass that problem for now.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Mudding

I read that the cooling system should be flushed and filled every 2 years, is this a good number? I only drive about 12K/annually. Oil changes every 3K or can you push it to 4K miles? I also read something about u-joints in the drive shaft and getting them replaced or they could ruin the transmission? Would like some feedback from the Discovery owners.

PS: His name is Southampton BTW..

Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Mudding

A quick video with a walk around of Southampton

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes coolant change every 2k is a good number. Your oil change intervals are a little on the conservative side but it's the least you can do to provide a longer life for the engine. Make sure that the truck isn't currently running with dexcool(red coolant). Also I would consider a change to a Motorad 180 thermostat ($35). This will run your engine about 10 degrees cooler, will give you some overheating protection and may help prolong the life of your gaskets. Always run a 40 weight oil. Most run Rotella shell 15w-40 with an extended oil filter such Mobil 301.

You can push oil changes as far as the spec of the oil( i mean i guess-DONT DO IT). I believe rotella shell is a really good oil that lasts a good while, as well as the 301 oil filter(rated for 10k). Obviously no one is going to wait that long to change oil(hopefully). But I would always change it at at least 4k (3000 if you want to try and clean the engine a little) and 5k at the absolute max(if your cash strapped lol). I wouldn't recommend ATF flushes though some here do. Preventative maintenance is key but as im becoming aware of my own LR im starting to find the saying, if ain't broke dont fix to be a very truthful phrase.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-15-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Mudding

The stock driveshafts only have one grease fitting, leaving one end completely sealed and unserviceable. The heat from the catalytic converter will break down the lubrication which will eventually lead to failure....can really beat a transmission to death. You can rebuild the shaft with new u-joints, or just buy a quality driveshaft with the serviceable u-joints.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the color. Sounds like you got a good price on it also. Congrats.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That's sharp looking! I like the face lift headlights and brush guard. That color is amazing as well!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Mudding

Thanks for all the good maintenance information and the compliments. I will be doing the above maintenance and changes to the coolant to prolong the life of the head gasket.

Quick Reply: My first Discovery.