Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter tricks?

After changing the filter twice this weekend I'm wondering if there are any tricks for emptying the oil filter prior to unscrewing it and making an unholy drippy mess. My Disco drools half a pint of hot oil all over the filter cylinder as it's being unscrewed.

Mr. Clean wants to know if anyone's punched a hole in the filter with a screwdriver prior to unscrewing? Would that make any difference?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil filter tricks?

Just unscrew ita littleuntil it starts pouring out. Let it finish pouring out until it stops and thenunscrew the rest of the way making sure you keep it upright once off. Seems to work pretty good. A sharp punch might work if done correctly, but probably not much better.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Three Wheeling

jkid - thanks - what you're saying is - take a breath, and take my time! good advice!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just be glad that it is at least almost level when you remove it and a large drip pan can catch most of the mess. My '96 Toyota Avalon has the filter mounting to the engine sideways and it is right over the front exhaust manifold. Talk about a smoking mess!

I guess you could punch a hole in it and let it drain and then just put a piece of duct tape over the hole and unscrew the thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Or... just be glad the filter is not UPSIDE DOWN at the top of the engine, like it is on my '92 Porche 968. In theory there is a drainback valve in the filter but in practice there is *no way* yer gonna get that sucker off without drenching the power steering assembly. Silly! Members of the DIY 968 club try everything - stuffing old crew socks down there, paper towels, you name it - what ever staunches the flow. The Disco is easy by comparison.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: chakadog

jkid - thanks - what you're saying is - take a breath, and take my time! good advice!
Ha ha , I used to unscrew the thing as fast as possible too so that less oil would get out and ended up just making a mess. Now I can do the whole oil change and only get one stinky finger [sm=lol.gif](when I pull the drain plug). The disco oil filter is very nice to get at and nice and low. I hate filters that are horizontal(upside down?? [:-]yikes) and tucked away somewhere up high (ie my Jeep which also has an expensive, plastic oil pressure sensor right next to it [:@])