Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks

Dear all LR lovers,
Does your d2 leak? If so, how much can you tolerate before you have it fxed?
Thank you all in advance.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Steve,

Mine leaks from either the rear main seal or the back of the oil pan gasket; I can't tell which. My rule of thumb is:

1. If it is making a spot on the driveway, it is too much.

2. If I have to add oil between my admittedly over-frequent changes, it is it too much.

3. Leaking from the front (oil pump area) is unacceptable in any amount.

and 4. Leaking somewhere where it would drip on something hot and smell like burning oil is unacceptable in any amount. Also, higher leaks can cause other problems.

With the exception of front and rear leaks, most can be cured with a socket and a new rubber seal. At least, mine have.

Best,

Charlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 01-19-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM
4wd Low

Thanks, Charlie.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Discovery steve
Thanks, Charlie.
You're welcome. I should have been more specific (within my limitations)...

The front and rear seals (basically, at the large pulley in the front and between the engine and transmission, or crank and torque converter, in the back) are a big deal to replace. The rear one requires removing the engine (which is why I am purposely ignorant of its status). My rear seal was knocked into place with a paint can by an idiot (not me) when I was preparing to install the engine myself; I didn't know any better at the time and was deferring to his mechanical experience, but I should have made a hard stop and pulled that seal, then put another one on because it leaks. Removing the crank in front is less troublesome than pulling the engine but still requires some special tools and knowledge that I just barely have (I had to have the part that holds the pulley fabricated).

Higher up a common place for oil leaks is the valve covers. That can cause burnt oil smell if on the outside, and foul the spark plugs and cause misfires if on the inside toward the intake/center of engine. The valve covers just have cheap rubber gaskets and 4 bolts each. I believe the valley gasket (just under the intake) can also leak oil and cause problems but I think you are asking about oil you can see...

At the bottom is an oil pan with a rubber gasket that can leak. It has a couple of nuts and lots of bolts. I don't personally consider a leak there to be a cause for alarm unless it is alot of oil, but the truth is that it is one of the easiest leaks to fix. The oil drain plug has to be tight and have a good washer but that's pretty basic.

I am sure there are other places oil can leak from the engine but those are the ones I have had to address/ignore. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM
4wd Low

Thanks agin. Think its got three leaks that I can tell without steam cleaning the engine. The crankshaft seal, oil filter housing and oil pan gasket. I am not mechanically inclined at all and if you had to guess , how many hours would it take to fix these fix? I had asked my Indy before and he told me not to worry about the leaks till they get somewhat bigger. I think the crank seal leak takes priority over the other two. Thanks again, Charlie. Really appreciated.

Last edited by Discovery steve; 01-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm slow but the crank seal (the one that requires something I had fabricated for 40 dollars to hold the pulley to take the main nut off the front... It is extraordinarily tight of necessity) took me about 3 hours. If you have the fan and belt off (to fix the crank seal) and the oil filter housing leak is coming from the front cover (and not just the oring) then you should probably also replace the timing chain, water pump, and oil pump gears depending on when that has been done in the past, since they are in the area of the crank. If you do all that it is a solid day.

And when I say I am slow, I am really both slow and not mechanically inclined. Someone who did it for a living or was on their third of fourth time could do it alot faster. If you know someone like that, make them help you!

I'm assuming you are talking about the front seal. If the rear you actually have to remove the engine and that's a solid weekend for sure.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM
4wd Low

I think I am leaking about a half of cup of oil every ten days. Roughly 120 miles of city driving. About to take a four day road trip and there's not enough time to get it fixed. Can I just keep an eye on the level. Like checking it at every fill up?
Thanks again

Last edited by Discovery steve; 01-21-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 893 Likes on 644 Posts

Mine loses about a quart between oil changes. There are always drops of oil hanging from various spots under the truck, but there are never any drips on my driveway. So long as that remains the case I don't plan to take the time to track down the leaks and address them.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

D2 and oil leaks They all leak I thought especially in the southeastern states...I was told by several reputable LR guys to really worry if there were no leaks... meaning it was completely empty

A couple of Quarter size oil drops are normal even for a newly sealed oil pan, and Transfer case. Baseball sized oil leaks or bigger yes you should worry...

My D2 trek leaked from almost every crevice when I bought it.. it was pitiful. Motor, gaskets, RMS, HG, front seal, transfer case, Tranny, power steering pump, steering box and even the rear Diff was all leaking at one point...now only slight weeping from the oil pan .... many $$$ later