Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i was finally done with changing the Transmission filter and start putting the fluid. After about 2.5 QT the pan filled up. started the engine shifted all the gears and started to fill i am about 6.5 QT still not full. I am assuming it's very close. should I keep going? i ran out of fluid means i have to make a trip to store.

with filter change how much fluid do we need?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2017, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

The whole Trans takes about 10 quarts (dry).
For what you just did look at just under 7.5 quarts.

The following users liked this post:
sayeedA (02-06-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

my vote is the lower intake manifold gasket. Oil will run down everywhere

The following users liked this post:
sayeedA (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Finally i got some time today. I will go under and see if I can take some more pic.
Then clean the bottom really good, tighten oil pan bolts, and TC bolts. drive for few days and see where the oil is coming from.

I can see TC plate is leaking - the cross bar is so rusted I am afraid to unbolt that. should i tighten the view plate? what's the torque?

Also for the front differential plate. what's the torque there? Shaft seems ok no oil there.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling

I know this sounds crazy. I went ahead and change all the gear Lubes to 85/140. this thing is thick compare to my 75/90. Hope nothing goes out of whack. got the Transmission fluid done to Maxlife Synth. valve cover was does last week.

I went under tighten differential case bolts they were somewhat loose. I did take some more pic. Looks like above the Oil filter there is a mess. any idea what that could be?

Oil definitely coming from top. But also look like Oil pan Gasket may need to be replaced. Any idea how difficult that may be?

Now I am going to wash the crap our of all the Oil and see where the next leaks are coming from.

I am also thinking to switch to Rotella 15/40 dino. that may slow down the oil leak.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one-oil-leak-4.jpg   Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one-oil-leak-3.jpg   Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one-oil-leak-2.jpg   Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one-oil-leak-1.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

sayeedA - While you are under there, get a can of white lightning and grease all the bushings. Also, if you have a grease gun, hit the drive shaft.

Also - download this, it will help

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Old 02-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
sayeedA - While you are under there, get a can of white lightning and grease all the bushings. Also, if you have a grease gun, hit the drive shaft.

Also - download this, it will help

land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte
OK Friday Night Disco. I have few questions.

I have good Air compressed grease gun - only places are those nipples on those double u joints. and rear shaft. are there any places to Grease with gun?

grease all the bushings - do you take off the Bushing to grease that sounds painful. how else would I grease?

Now the dumbest question what is can of white lightning? what do I do with that?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Why would that sound crazy? A lot of folks use heavier oil in 15-yr old trucks with 100K+ miles; it's all good. If you have any concerns with project time & difficulty look up the exercise in the workshop manual. I always read it over 2-3 times before I start on anything. The oil pan is just a bunch of bolts BUT if you drop that go ahead & at least replace crankshaft seal and oil pump. The pan has to be dropped to get the front cover off & trust me you don't want to take the oil pan off more than once. Yes, it's a pain in the a$$ to put back on if you are laying on the ground so kill as many birds possible with your 1 stone.

The 15w/40 prob won't help with any leaks at this point, the seals are loose as cheap a hooker but you should be running the engine in the heavy Dino oil anyway; its a 60-yr old design that gets no benefit from synthetic oil - the oil pump & hydraulic lifters won't build as much pressure I don't think.

Last edited by chubbs878; 02-08-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
OK Friday Night Disco. I have few questions.

I have good Air compressed grease gun - only places are those nipples on those double u joints. and rear shaft. are there any places to Grease with gun?

grease all the bushings - do you take off the Bushing to grease that sounds painful. how else would I grease?

Now the dumbest question what is can of white lightning? what do I do with that?

Thanks
I use the hand pump grease gun and the only nipples I am aware of are the ones on the drive shaft. My truck has (1) on the front and (1) on the rear at the u joints.

I meant white lithium for the bushings. Do not take them apart, just spray either side

Old 02-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Somebody was just telling me yesterday that you don't put anything on bushings it will degrade that much faster.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one