Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Oil Light On, Ticking Sound, Loss of Power (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/oil-light-ticking-sound-loss-power-17130/)

dholland 11-12-2008 09:15 PM

Oil Light On, Ticking Sound, Loss of Power

Yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, I noticed my oil light came on. I arrived at my destination thinking, another day another problem :)

A couple hours later I got I started the truck, no light.

Today I drive to day care, drive to work....then on the way home the light comes on again. This time I can hear the ticking sound...I then also notice a loss of power. The light stays on and the ticking continues. I raise the hood...ticking seems to be in the engine.

Well, I let it set for about 15-20 minutes. Start it...no light or ticking. And power is there. I drive it maybe 1/4 mile and get on it pretty hard in this short distance. Nothing, running fine.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? My oil level is fine, checked it several times the last couple of days. This oil has about 1500 miles on it.

I have an 02 Disco with 81k miles on it.

apcollin 11-12-2008 09:45 PM

RE: Oil Light On, Ticking Sound, Loss of Power

did a mix of synthetic/nonsynthetic get in there?

dholland 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

Shouldn't have....but there could be 2 different types of oil. The only way synthetic and non, would be if the dealer I got it from put synthetic in it. Which I would highly doubt

I did add about a quart of 5w20 into what is in it now

jmrivera 11-12-2008 10:00 PM

You need to have your oil pressure tested... Could be the oil pump, the main, rod, or cam bearings... Maybe the lifters... Some people have had a build up of sludge in the oil pickup...

I suggest not driving the vehicle until you have it checked out...

Jonathan

jmrivera 11-12-2008 10:01 PM

Oh yeah, have you had a drop in coolant level???

Spike555 11-12-2008 10:02 PM

5w-20 motor oil is WAY to thin, that is the wrong oil for this application.
CHANGE THE OIL!! NOTHING THINNER THAN A *w-30 WEIGHT MOTOR OIL IN A LAND ROVER!
Put in a 10w-40 full synthetic motor oil, and the next time the oil light comes on while driving...SHUT IT OFF!! or I will come to your house and I will beat you with the threaded end of a lead pipe.
Unless you are being chased by a guy wearing a mask with a running chainsaw NEVER drive with the oil light on.

And just a FYI, mixing full syn and dino oil is nothing more than a synthetic blend motor oil, both oils are compatible with one another but they need to be the same viscosity.

dholland 11-12-2008 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: jmrivera

Yes I did have a coolant level drop, just a couple of days ago.

It is now full though

jmrivera 11-12-2008 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: dholland

ORIGINAL: jmrivera

Yes I did have a coolant level drop, just a couple of days ago.

It is now full though

Did it leak to the floor??? If not, pull a spark plug from each side of the engine to check for coolant...

dholland 11-13-2008 04:58 AM

It evaporated out through the coolant tank...the lid was not on good. It had either vibrated loose or was never on good from the time I bought the truck.

How does low coolant affect my oil light?

discoxd 11-13-2008 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I will come to your house and I will beat you with the threaded end of a lead pipe.

bwahahahahaha!!!![sm=happybounce.gif]

________
Live sex