Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan gasket-RTV or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan gasket-RTV or not?

I'm just finishing up my adventurous timing gear/chain replacement, oil gears and water pump job and will be fitting the oil pan back on today. The search function sux on this forum and I couldn't find info on whether RTV Black is suggested on one side of the oil pan gasket, both sides or fit it dry. I know the RAVE says to fit it dry but I'm trying to eliminate any future leaks from the work I've done.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The rave shows you a few points where you must use RTV, but I misread it and rtv'ed the entire thing both sides.

It doesn't leak but its going to be a bitch to get it off later hahaha

Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed the rave instructions when I did mine, it still leaks.... Next time I need/want to take it off I will be putting RTV around the whole thing.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well as I was laying under the rover looking to fit the oil pan I noticed a slow but definite area of oil forming between the block and the bell housing. I cleaned it off, RTV'd both sides of the gasket and fit the oil pan. I still see oil seeping out between where the oil pan and the bell housing connect. Where is this coming from do you think? Rear main seal?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are a few people that use ONLY RTV for the oil pan instead of getting a rubber gasket. But there are 2 points where the bellhousing and block meet in the back you're supposed to RTV when using a gasket.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cork gaskets specifically are useless. I used one and it lasted all of three or four months, leaks pretty badly now

Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Well I used the rubber gasket and applied RTV to the entire thing, works great.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
I followed the rave instructions when I did mine, it still leaks.... Next time I need/want to take it off I will be putting RTV around the whole thing.
Just curious if you used a torque wrench and tightened all the bolts to the correct foot pounds as mentioned in the Rave. The first time I did a oil pan gasket change was on my former D1 and I did not use the torque wrench. Consequently I over tightened the hardware and broke the brand new gasket! Luckily I was in the Autozone parking lot at the time and some RTV saved the day.

I agree about cork gaskets, pure junk.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by expedio2005
well as I was laying under the rover looking to fit the oil pan I noticed a slow but definite area of oil forming between the block and the bell housing. I cleaned it off, RTV'd both sides of the gasket and fit the oil pan. I still see oil seeping out between where the oil pan and the bell housing connect. Where is this coming from do you think? Rear main seal?
Output shaft seal. only war to fix is to drop the tranny... Get some white shepard stop leak and see if that helps out. I had the same thing a few years back. used the white shepard and voila. all good, until it started to leak somewhere else
These puppies leak. it is for me a non issue as the leaks are the smallest of seeps. I never have to add oil unless I have just done a hard 70mph highway drive of 3 hours or more. and even then it is never more than 4-8 oz of oil. Just keep an eye on your oil levels and enjoy. way too many things to become obsessed over.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Well I used the rubber gasket and applied RTV to the entire thing, works great.
Sometimes it does sometimes it does not....in hot humid climates...not so much

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket-RTV or not?