Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Oil Pressure Problem (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/oil-pressure-problem-20302/)

Spyder7892 03-03-2009 07:07 PM

Oil Pressure Problem

Hey Guys,

I searched but couldnt reall find what i was looking for.

I park the rover on a slight incline and for the past week my oil pressure light has been coming on for 5-10 seconds untill i hit the bottom of the driveway where the ground is level then the light comes off and never comes back on. The temps outside have been kinda cold out this past week and it is time for an oil change. This morning when i got in the light didnt go off when i got to the bottom of the driveway and when i got to the top of the hill i saw that it was still on so i brought it back and parked it. I didnt have any weird noises or anything like. I have a 2003 with 103K on it, i bought it used with about 96K on it so i dont know how frequent the previous owner was with oil changes. Does this sound like a sludge problem to you guys?

I am aware of the problems that the 2003's have with the oil pumps but from all that i have read about it, it doesnt seem to be the same problems that others have had. Though mine does fall within the VIN range the light has never come on once the truck has warmed up, and never comes on at idle. Im hoping that i do not need to replace the oil pump but this could also be a possibility correct?

Let me know what you guys think it could be. I had it towed to the mechanic today and he said that he would change the oil, drop the pan and check the pickup, and also pressure test the pump to see if he can find the problem.

Thanks again in advance

Spike555 03-03-2009 07:24 PM

Sounds like the pump is going bad to me.

Disco Mike 03-03-2009 07:49 PM

Being you own a Disco, never assume anything.
If you want to try and get some more mileage from that engine, you make an appointment to have the oil pressure tested. Leave the vehicle over night, have the test at idle when cold also at 2000 RPMs, then again at idle when at operating temp and well as at 2000 RPM's.
THen we will have something to talk about and a possible short term repair.

Spyder7892 03-03-2009 08:16 PM

I already have it at the mechanic, he will be doing the pressure test tomorrow and i'll let you guys know how it goes. Also now that I think about it i had the light come on a couple of times about 6 months ago, it did it 4 days in a row, went off as soon as i hit level ground then didnt show up again untill this past week. Also yesterday I took about a 400 mile round trip up through the mountains in the snow and didnt have any problems. Im not sure if that makes any difference at all or not

Also if it is the pump going bad due to the misalignment issues in the 03's what options do i have on fixing it? I would like to get more out of the motor if at all possible
Thanks again guys

Spike555 03-03-2009 08:40 PM

Since this seems to happen when on a incline have you checked the oil level?
The temp fix is a new engine front cover and oil pump, you will then get another 50k or so out of it.
It has probally been replaced once already.

Spyder7892 03-03-2009 08:52 PM

Checked the oil and it was right where it is supposed to be. If it does turn out to be the pump how much does the front cover and oil pump normally run, also where do i get ahold of these parts?

tomfraser 03-03-2009 08:57 PM

do you live in a cold climate?

let the car sit idling for a minute before driving and see if it shuts off

When it is around 0 degrees Fahrenheit here the oil light on my disco stays on for an extra 5 or 6 seconds after it begins to idle