Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump and Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump and Camshaft

Great website. Wish I had found it sooner.

Background: Six months ago brought Disco II w/ 67K weekend miles in to dealer for an engine noise/knocking sound occasionally heard (1-2 x per week when idling.) Dealer could not replicate the noise after holding on to the car for a week. Noise becomes more often over the next two months. Brought back to dealer. Dealer indicates head gasket leak and need to replace rocker arm sets. After that work is completed dealer indicates that the noise has not gone away and will put back my orig rockers at no cost. Further investigation by dealer over the next week reveals two adjacent damaged lifters due to "a soft spot on the camshaft" (steel possibly not hardened correctly at manufacturer is assumed), and oil pump assembly needing replacement. Cam and oil pump will cost about $4,500 to replace. This is more than current trade-in value of vehicle.

Any recourse on this type of situation? Seems odd to me that a camshaft would go after 67K miles. Extended warranty expired after 50K miles.

I have not really had any other mechanical problems with this vehicle since 2002, and was looking forward to getting about five more years of weekend use. Looking for any suggestions on possible next steps.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wtf..

What the F$ck ..."soft spot on camshaft" are you kidding me... assumed....they actually used that word...making a *** of you and me.....I think dealers should take notice as to why we think they are the biggest bunch of stupid F$ck wads..... and most of us dont hold are ankle's.... $4,500.00 to replace....cam is no more than $170.00..... oil pump is $550.00 new....and why the oil pump ? Where are you located and maybe we can help you from getting "F$cked in the you know what....

This is why i never go to the dealer as i live in a carry state and if someone gave me this lame *** answer after all this crap i would consider shooting them on the spot for being such a stupid ***....

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default i should have know better

I should have known ...paris92.....give me a break....and the discription... it has to be a phony post....

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it is actually true. Does this seem really odd? If so, why? The cost quoted was by the dealer. I have considered looking elsewhere for a quote on the repairs, but figured they could not be too far off of what the dealer quoted. Again, I have had no problems with the vehicle, so I have no idea if the dealer repair quotes are crazy high or not. They told me that in order to change out the camshaft the entire engine must be broken down. I actually saw the wear on the shaft and the two damaged lifters. They replaced those when they put it back together again, but said it would only be a short time until those two were damaged by the bad shaft also. Any chance LR USA will stand behind this "broken" part? How the heck does that happen to a camshaft?

Originally Posted by vandev
I should have known ...paris92.....give me a break....and the discription... it has to be a phony post....

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sorry but sounds far fetched..

Originally Posted by Paris92
No, it is actually true. Does this seem really odd? If so, why? The cost quoted was by the dealer. I have considered looking elsewhere for a quote on the repairs, but figured they could not be too far off of what the dealer quoted. Again, I have had no problems with the vehicle, so I have no idea if the dealer repair quotes are crazy high or not. They told me that in order to change out the camshaft the entire engine must be broken down. I actually saw the wear on the shaft and the two damaged lifters. They replaced those when they put it back together again, but said it would only be a short time until those two were damaged by the bad shaft also. Any chance LR USA will stand behind this "broken" part? How the heck does that happen to a camshaft?
Sorry if i doubt you but it sound really far fetched...Where are you located ?would help..and what dealership? oh, never take a LR to the dealer unless you are very rich and stupid or you own a new LR under warranty so you can actually drive it like you stole it...For one, They dont fix things....they only replace things and whatever else they can think up ... Two, think about it ....a soft spot on the camshaft by not hardened steel.....That has to take the lame *** excusse of all time ... oh and it just happened to be where the lifter make contact..... Sounds like some dumb *** LRM droped or left something in the valley pan is what caused it...And no the entire engine does not have to be completly broken down......LR stand behind anything....yes they do.... ..when you bend over they are right there....

Last edited by vandev; 05-18-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Stay away from the stealer!!
Is the noise still there?
No?
Dont worry about it.
Where are you located?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default thanks partner..

Originally Posted by Spike555
Stay away from the stealer!!
Is the noise still there?
No?
Dont worry about it.
Where are you located?
I feel like a WWF wrestler..thanks for tagging me out...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I feel like a WWF wrestler..thanks for tagging me out...
Oh, you psoted?

It's all your Chris, I wasn't trying to hi-jack.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default please do

Originally Posted by Spike555
Oh, you psoted?

It's all your Chris, I wasn't trying to hi-jack.
please do ..i am loosing my sanity with some of this stuff...

Spike is the man

Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4500$ for an oil pump and cam. Come on you gotta be kidding me!! You can replace the entire engine for this cost. Oil pump and cam you can get from turner engineering for 400$ USD. labor should be no more then 1500$.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump and Camshaft